Ringneck Pheasant is mean

Well been having a little luck with my Peep. Today was the first time he attacked me in 4 days. Been using a 5 gallon bucket and my leg to keep him at bay. I tired chasing him a bit as well, but he don't back down. seems to make him want to stand his ground. I'll keep working on him.

Quote:
Forgive me . . . *enters sarcasm mode, directed at skeptics unwilling to TRY something*

Sure, a blinder is much easier and simpler to use than trying -- just TRYING -- to stalk the bird.
roll.png

(kartking22, my sarcasm is NOT directed at you. Rather, it is directed at closed-minds that pop up from time to time in threads like these.)

I don't understand why you quoted me and directed your sarcasm to someone else. I was just trying to give advice to someone with a problem. Nothing more. What do you do with a mean rooster? Put him in a corner for a TIME OUT?

I've raised Jumbo Ring-Necks for several years now and every bird is different. Jumbo's tend to be more timid for the most part. I don't like the blinders at all but that is just me. I have actually used that stalking method and it has worked on some males, but there is always one (and probably always will be) that is determined to be top dog so to speak.

When you have a 8-10 pound Adult male that can rip a chunk of flesh off your hand or leg, should he get a good bite, you will probably abandon the stalking method as I did. I then go to the old newspaper just like JJMR has stated. I don't remember reading that on here before seeing his post but it works eventually. I swat them on the back as it knocks them towards the ground (I'm not trying to hurt him). I think it intimidates them more to get knocked down as opposed to swatting them in the breast. That method always seemed to provoke more attacks for me.

Back
Top Bottom