Ringnecks and goldens

ZoeS95423

Songster
8 Years
Apr 17, 2011
Hello, I have had Ringneck pheasants for about 3 years, and recently we got a pair of golden pheasants, well as far as we know a pair.
They are 8 months old, and so far have gotten one egg everyday for about a week.
My question is, someone told me that exotic pheasants can't be with ringnecks? We figured since we only have 5 females we will have to get rid of our ringneck rooster before putting them in the same pen, but the guy said the exotic rooster when mature will also kill the ringneck hens.
Is this true?

They are in a 16ft by 10 ft. Indoor pen with cedar branches all over, and many roosts. We change out the branches once the green starts dying on them.
Their outdoor aviary is 16ft by 25ft
Also with branches and roosts.
I plan to plant some actually shrubs in there that will stay alive and I will keep them trimmed up.
So do you think when my golden rooster will kill my ringneck hens once he is sexually matured? Or that they will be okay together?

I have a trio of red golds and 6 ring necks 1 male 5 females all together in a pen. It's 40'x40' so there's lots of room. But the red gold cock stays far away from the ring necks. The hens will always mix but the cock birds stay away from each other for the most part. And there has been no aggression between them.

I keep 3 ringnecks roasters with 3 golden roasters and a lady amerherst roaster they all seem fine

Okay, that is a relief.
Mine are together and so far so good.

How old do Golden's take to be sexually mature? I cannot wait to have eggs that I can't hatch. I have hatched and raised ringnecks successfully.
I am definitely more interested in raising exotics though.

No you shouldn't keep them together because and there are a couple of reasons why.
1- If you have females the males will mate no matter if its a ringneck or a golden so you would have impure breedings which I dont suggest which defeats the purpose of you getting a pair.
2- If you have a ringneck male in with another male more than likely your golden will be on the loosing end since ringnecks will become very aggresive towards other male and since they are almost double the size he will loose.

If you would only have males they may be alright but I wouldn't take a chance.

I'm not really worried about mixed breeds. I just have them as a hobby, for my enjoyment.
But I will have no problem getting rid of my ringneck rooster if I have to.

Back
Top Bottom