RIP Big Guy

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Carolyn, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    Big Guy was a Welsummer Roo who has been part of my flock less than 2 months. He was beautiful and so smart. I posted a thread about my chickens being able to read and I am pretty sure Big Guy taught them. I do know he taught them the fox drill and they knew what to do. That was until this morning.

I had been out for an early walk, it was a beautiful morning and not too hot yet so when I came back I let my flock out for a little free ranging. My intent was to come in long enough to eat breakfast, fried eggs with one of my first garden tomatoes. I got on facebook, right beside the window while I ate but got involved in a chat. I didn't hear Big Guy but did hear a hen squawk. I looked out and saw a fox, I called my hubby who came with the gun and I did not barge out on the porch screaming like I did last time I saw a fox in the yard.

There was never a sound from Big Guy, a scant few feathers, no blood but in an instant he was gone. Other than the hen that was nearest him the chickens were not even upset; I guess they were waiting for the fox alarm to go off. We couldn't even track to find where it went into the woods because there was no trail.

Well the hens are now safely back in their pen, my hubby and I are both probably covered in chiggers, seed ticks and poison ivy. I am exhausted and ever so sad. I have never had a predator get a nasty roo, they only like the best.

2. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    so sorry she must have kits if shes hunting in the day... [​IMG]

pink

3. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    I am so sorry you lost your guy! [​IMG]

Darn foxes![​IMG]

4. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Like I always say "A good rooster is the first one to the fight!"

Are you thinking electric fence?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  5. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

[​IMG]

Big Guy [​IMG]

6. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    Sweet Big Guy, he was the ultimate flock protector and left this world protecting his girls. So sorry for your loss [​IMG]

7. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    He probably put himself between the fox and the hens. RIP Chicken Boy....

8. Carolyn

Apr 6, 2008
    I do have an electric fence around the coop area but thought I was doing a kindness letting them out to free range for awhile. Guess I was wrong.

Thanks for understanding, I just needed to vent. I really liked that roo and was hoping to eventually get a broody and raise some chicks. I have a young BO roo but he doesn't have the makings to be a Big Guy. He really was a good roo, pretty too.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Darn, Carolyn, I'm so sorry! He died doing his roosterly duty, as was his destiny, though. I just hate to lose a good rooster, but that is his mission in life, to throw himself in harm's way to protect his girls. RIP, Big Guy. Wellies are awesomely handsome roosters, too.

10. Carolyn

Apr 6, 2008
    I'm not the only one missing him. I have 5 laying welsummers and got 0 eggs today. I don't blame them, I can tell the whole flock misses him. I overslept without my sweet alarm clock. Thank you all for your sweet comments. Can't talk to most of my friends and family about these things; but I know I can come here where folks understand.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by