RIP Esme, she died today

Aug 11, 2018
Esme was my first hen, an ISA Brown. She was a shelter animal, but I estimate her age at about 4-5.

A few months ago, I noticed Esme not coming out of the coop. Her butt was bright red. I treated it with Vetricyn and gave her some Amoxicillin.

The redness abated and she went back to eating and typical chicken behaviors, but I noticed she wasn't laying much.

Toward the last few days, we found a couple lash eggs. She failed to go into the coop one day and we missed her when closing it. She was OK the next day. The next day she was slow to come out of the coop, but eventually did to get feed. A few hours later, she was snacking on some stale Cheerios we threw out to them.

Soon after that, she climbed into the coop and went into the hay, and went to sleep.

Rest in peace, Esme.

Thanks everyone who's writing.

I'm taking it a bit hard, even given that this is always part of the risk of a engineered production layer, as she was.

I remember the first egg we got, in the rabbit hutch where we used to keep her. How we fed her grapes and it was funny seeing her run across the concrete to get them. How we needed a name and my next door neighbor over the fence said, "How about Esmerelda?"

When we got four other chicks and they stayed in the playpen so she wouldn't charge 'em, then one day she started yelling and there was a hawk on top of it. Esme went into the playpen after that and was just fine.

SO discovered her body and said it looked like she just went to sleep. He buried her before coming in to tell me about it. I'm glad her illness did not take away her ability to eat and drink on her final day.

Thanks everyone who's writing.

I'm taking it a bit hard, even given that this is always part of the risk of a engineered production layer, as she was.

I remember the first egg we got, in the rabbit hutch where we used to keep her. How we fed her grapes and it was funny seeing her run across the concrete to get them. How we needed a name and my next door neighbor over the fence said, "How about Esmerelda?"

When we got four other chicks and they stayed in the playpen so she wouldn't charge 'em, then one day she started yelling and there was a hawk on top of it. Esme went into the playpen after that and was just fine.

SO discovered her body and said it looked like she just went to sleep. He buried her before coming in to tell me about it. I'm glad her illness did not take away her ability to eat and drink on her final day.
Those are such precious memories. I have a hen that age as well. She is quite special to me and I think every day I need to cherish the sweet moments with her. I’m sorry about your girl. Chickens have such unique personalities, and it’s impossible not to love them.

Loved reading your memories of Esme. She was a special girl who found a special person to love her. When I think about the ones I've lost, I try to comfort myself with thoughts of how I cared for them and tried to give them good lives. You must know that you gave Esme the best life possible. I am sorry for your loss; keep remembering your girl!

Esme was my first hen, an ISA Brown. She was a shelter animal, but I estimate her age at about 4-5.

A few months ago, I noticed Esme not coming out of the coop. Her butt was bright red. I treated it with Vetricyn and gave her some Amoxicillin.

The redness abated and she went back to eating and typical chicken behaviors, but I noticed she wasn't laying much.

Toward the last few days, we found a couple lash eggs. She failed to go into the coop one day and we missed her when closing it. She was OK the next day. The next day she was slow to come out of the coop, but eventually did to get feed. A few hours later, she was snacking on some stale Cheerios we threw out to them.

Soon after that, she climbed into the coop and went into the hay, and went to sleep.

Rest in peace, Esme.
I'm so sorry for your loss. :hugs :hugs

Back
Top Bottom