RIP Guaiguai

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by shetan83, Nov 3, 2014.

1. shetan83

shetan83 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2012
    San Dimas, CA
    I'm heartbroken to say that a predator killed one of our hens today, our one and only barred rock hen. RIP Guaiguai (chinese name meaning obedient and clever, which she totally was). You were one of our favorites, and one of the first chicks we ever got. I remember when you were just a wee little chick just one day old, and you had a little white spot on your head. You didn't draw much attention then, but you grew up to be the best leader of our little flock. A true leader, but so gentle and friendly. Never pecked anyone, and yet, everyone seemed to naturally follow you. You were always the first to lead everyone on their explorations of the yard. You were always talking to us with your little clucks and chirps. We used to joke that you'd get tired after all that talking, but even when you were napping at our kitchen door, you looked so cute in your little boat shape with your feet tucked under your feathers.
    Goodbye Guaiguai. You brought a lot of joy to us in your 3.5 years, and the only thing that makes us less heartbroken is that we gave you a good life too. You got to live with sunshine and dust baths, scratch for bugs and eat all sorts of treats. Most importantly, you were loved.
    Goodbye Guaiguai. You were first in our hearts.

Here's a pic of her as a young hen, close to her friends as she was later in her life.
    [​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    So sorry about the loss of Guaiguai :hugs she must have been a wonderful happy little hen, and it sounds like she had a good life with you.

3. shetan83

shetan83 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2012
    San Dimas, CA
    Thank you.

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I'm so sorry. [​IMG] She sounds like a real sweet girl. I just love my barred rocks, they're the best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by