RIP little drake! 😟

Your poor flock is definitely in shock😢. Maybe think about a pellet gun if you don’t have a shotgun.
We have some pretty large raptors that swoop in around my place often and they are just frightening.
You can say that! - I had Pompom Duck sitting in my lap just a minute ago. She never did that before! And the White Ducks were hugging my rubber boots…
Yeah, pellet gun just to "scare away" that bird.

Sad news: I heart something like an impact outside, looked out of the window and could not see anything, but all ducks were huddled close to the house. Grabbed my jacket and went outside and saw a huge bird of prey taking off. It left behind the dead body of one of my young drakes, one of the drakes my neighbors gave back to me in December. I have no idea what kind of bird that is, but it has red-brown feathers on its back and I'm not uploading pictures here, you all have seen a duck killed by a BoP i guess.

And i am not overly heartbroken by that drake's death, i mean it was drake and i have too many drakes, but what makes me mad is the following:
That b*tch bird attacked me: While picking up the body, it swooped right over me, i felt the draft from its wings, then it turned around and dive bombed me several times. It hung around for almost 30 minutes, shouting loud, dive-bombing me several times until i got my slingshot out and launched a couple of pebbles into its direction (i still don't own a gun!). My ducks are so scared now that the all hug the house, don't move and don't quack…

Am i allowed to hunt that bird down now?

I’m so sorry for your loss. I hope that the BoP disappears one way or another and leaves the rest of your flock alone!

I don’t have a pen just their houses an little over half acre fenced I am keeping mine all 34 down close to the house right now since it’s so open in the largest part of their fenced area. Yes I am paranoid. I have made my property pretty tacky hanging predator tape all over my flocks area. Hoping it will help deter the hawks we have here.

Why can’t you build them a pen that way you can keep them up unless your out with them then let them free range
No flat land at all and building a pen on a hillsite....? And then the money question, a pen for 28 ducks would have to be huge, especially because my ducks are used to have a lot of space -a lot of.
I will set up more little huts to provide cover and draw lines from the house to the trees and other anchor points and attach reflective flags. Just try to make it as un-attractive for that bird as possible. - Where are my crow-friends?!? Damn Winter!

I don’t have a pen just their houses an little over half acre fenced I am keeping mine all 34 down close to the house right now since it’s so open in the largest part of their fenced area. Yes I am paranoid. I have made my property pretty tacky hanging predator tape all over my flocks area. Hoping it will help deter the hawks we have here.
It happened just five meters (15') away from the house! - During the summer this area is covered by tree branches, but now - no leaves. When i scared the hawk away it almost crashed into the trees, because i was coming from the open side, but then it turned around and came back towards me.

Nope. If you decide to though, do not post about it, I think people say SSS (shoot, shovel, and shut up). Sorry for you loss.:hugs
Nope? - Not even in self defense? I mean that thing attacken me. I'm all about protecting nature, but if nature turns against me, that's another story...

Back
Top Bottom