RIP little drake! šŸ˜Ÿ

Pics
Are ducks able to grieve? - Do they know what "dead" means?

Those are the questions still haunting me after today's sad duty of burying the poor little drake.
I could not do that earlier, due to the frozen ground around here yesterday and even after a lot of sunshine today it was difficult. So i had that poor little guy sitting in my wheelbarrow overnight, covered with a piece of plywood. Fortunately yesterday i had stuck what was left of his little head under his wing, folded the legs under his belly, so today he almost looked like a sleeping duck, very peaceful, but frozen solid.
While i was digging, down in the hollow where i had buried our little runt duckling in 2018, all duckies were standing at the fence, watching curiously what i was doing. After finishing the grave i walked up to the work platform to pick up the little body. Even though i placed the drake into a white $-store bin the all other's knew what was going on! 20 ducks and 8 drakes were carefully watching my every move. I carried the white bin back down to the grave in a way that no duck could look inside, but it was unavoidable that they saw me laying their flock-mate into that hole in the groundā€¦
All ducks started to quack immediately, that loud alarm quack, where every duck makes one loud QUACK , then the next one and the next oneā€¦ They did that until i had filled up the grave and placed some flowers at it. Then they fell all still. Here is where the little one is now resting in peace:
20200222_180148.jpg

And here are the ducks, standing at the fence, the little girl at the ladder is Mini Duck, his sister and she misses her brother very much:
20200222_180128.jpg

After i got back up the hill, she looked at me with that question in her little eyes and it told her "Sorry Mini, there was nothing i could do for him.". She quietly turned around, walked over to her other three hatch-brothers and huddled to them.

Last edited:
Update on the birds of prey - yes there were two of them, terrorizing our little valley.

This morning another neighbor lost her five bunnies, two of them having babies about two weeks old, the other three pregnant and about to give birth. One of the Hawks killed one the the mothers and the other four suffered heart attacks. I did not know that rabbits can literally be scared to death. Now my neighbor is desperately trying to rescue 10 little rabbit babiesā€¦

Didn't i tell you that freak accidents happen all the time here?

Late in the afternoon both birds were circling over the valley, uttering their call of terror, when one of them experienced a mid air collision with a small meteorite. Everybody heart the sonic boom, that those space rocks make when entering the atmosphere and being hit by just a tiny one, less than one centimeter in diameter is absolutely devastatingā€¦
The other bird has not been seen again today.

I am not looking forward to the day we have to do this but I know it will come. While I was supervising free ranging today all I could think about was your young drake. We have been so lucky. Everyone free ranges their chickens around here. We have many hawks around but no attacks so far.

I haven't read all the posts yet but I wanted to recommend a paint ball gun, or as an alternative: I would use the dead duck as bait. Hide close by with a net and when it comes to get the duck capture it quickly. šŸ˜‰

I just finished reading the whole thread. I see you buried your duck already. Poor little duckie. šŸ˜ž I still think a paintball gun would be handy to have if you don't want to do hunter safety classes and a permit. On the flip side I killed a skunk with a bb rifle. My boys were well impressed with their momma. šŸ˜„

Update on the birds of prey - yes there were two of them, terrorizing our little valley.

This morning another neighbor lost her five bunnies, two of them having babies about two weeks old, the other three pregnant and about to give birth. One of the Hawks killed one the the mothers and the other four suffered heart attacks. I did not know that rabbits can literally be scared to death. Now my neighbor is desperately trying to rescue 10 little rabbit babiesā€¦

Didn't i tell you that freak accidents happen all the time here?

Late in the afternoon both birds were circling over the valley, uttering their call of terror, when one of them experienced a mid air collision with a small meteorite. Everybody heart the sonic boom, that those space rocks make when entering the atmosphere and being hit by just a tiny one, less than one centimeter in diameter is absolutely devastatingā€¦
The other bird has not been seen again today.
Meteorite! Wow. Isn't that something šŸ’šŸ˜Š

Back
Top Bottom