RIP Peaches the silkie hen........

Azulegg

Songster
13 Years
Jan 15, 2007
south central PA
newsilkies004.jpg

I went up to the barn at dusk like I usually do to shut my birds in only to find a raccoon leaving the coop area in my barn. Two chicks missing and when I went to find Peaches (she was a granddaughter of a hat trick) she had just been killed. :( I can't believe this. My daughter was going to show her this year for the first time. We had her four years. :( I know I can't replace her as the breedline she was the hatching eggs are just too expensive. And no one in my area that is close breeds them any more. I had bought her from someone in Taneytown, MD but I hear she does not breed silkies any more.

She was our LAST silkie. We had a gorgeous black one that dropped dead (was not ill just died) and the pretty white one we had was also taken out by a predator because I got home 30 minutes past dark and it was too late (lost two hens that night). I just have to re examine how I can prevent this. I've had enough of the bird losses due to predators.

So sorry you lost your sweet silkie. Maybe someone here would have silkie hatching eggs? You could maybe post your run in the coops thread. There are a lot of experts here who might have some good ideas. It's rotten to lose birds that way. Hope you get it figured out and don't have to deal with that again!
hugs.gif

Well on top of everything I contacted the person who had a daughter of my silkie hen to find out that silkie was killed due to a predator. And I contacted someone else who has a son of peaches and she says she's been breeding him to her show silkies so maybe I might get one from her (of course she has to hope what hatches is female). The person who I got peaches from I hear doesn't have silkies any more.

So sorry you lost your sweet silkie. Maybe someone here would have silkie hatching eggs? You could maybe post your run in the coops thread. There are a lot of experts here who might have some good ideas. It's rotten to lose birds that way. Hope you get it figured out and don't have to deal with that again!
hugs.gif
I am quite tired of the raccoons out smarting me and killing my birds.

Any how we trapped three raccons this week (live trap) and relocated them to a state park (far away from any homes or farms). We will keep trapping and relocating till no more are trapped here.

We do miss Peaches. It makes me sick to think of how she died (her head was crushed). :(

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom