1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

RIP Red

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by apbgv, Dec 7, 2008.

1. apbgv

apbgv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Iowa
    Today I went out about 8am and found my beloved Red dead laying in the snow. She was the last of my original 3 chickens. She has always been a silly girl-demanding food, complaining about the weather, brooded a clutch of silkies and was BFF to Bertha my standard Barred Rock, she and Bertha would always check out the grilling situation.
    [​IMG]
    Red and Bertha waiting for a handout
    RIP silly girl March 2004-Dec 2008

2. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    So sorry to hear of your loss of Red. Do you know why she died?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  3. apbgv

apbgv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Iowa
    I have no idea what happened, she was fine on Tues, I get home late the rest of the week they are in bed when I get home and still in bed when I leave and yesterday I was at an interdog aggression seminar so late out and in. She looked like she was just sleeping no feathers out of place or anything.

4. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I am so sorry for your loss. There's a movie/video where a women's chicken froze to "death", but she revived it somehow. Maybe it was too cold for Red?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by