RIP Smithy

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by mychookschick, Mar 16, 2012.

1. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    I went out to the coop this morning to find that my beloved Smith, a member of my two rooster hitch, had fallen off the roost and broken his neck. He was laying lifeless at the back of the coop. He had either fallen off the roost or was pushed... He had been being picked on lately, especially by the two other roos. He had only one hen that liked him, and she was the only one that I ever found with him, while he was off by himself. This morning she hoped off the roost and walked over to him, pecked him, as if to say, "You OK??"... Then walked away. After I took him out back, on my way back, I heard really loud squaking (sp?). I assumed that it was someone doing the egg call, so went to check, but there wasn't any eggs. It was that hen, standing where I found him, and she was throwing a fit.... [​IMG]

Here is a couple of pics of my team, that is no longer..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ChickenCrazy8

ChickenCrazy8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Canada, Ottawa
    My Coop
    [​IMG]That's sooo sad. He sounded like an amazing rooster [​IMG] RIP smith

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    How unique-a rooster team! So sorry he passed away.

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I'm so sorry about Smith. [​IMG] But, I love your pics! That is priceless!! The poor little hen, she misses her beau.

5. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    Thanks to both of you! She still wasn't herself when I just put them in. I hope that she snaps out of it soon... She wouldn't even hang with the flock today!

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Poor hen's missing her buddy. I've seen it with my chickens as well. So sweet and so sad. Sorry about Smith, love the photos.

7. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    oh, I am so sorry. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by