RIP White Nose

I'm so sorry for your loss.
That kind of lock is pretty easy for a raccoon to open. They have very good dexterity.
I'm just not sure a raccoon would kill a rabbit.
Does anyone know whether they would?
@Kiki do your know? Or, do you know, who would know?
(Sorry for that convoluted sentence.. I just read a Dr. Seuss book to a grandchild. 🤣)
Raccoons would absolutely kill a rabbit. 💔

I don't know that it was for sure. But a headless animal death is a raccoon trademark.
I believe the head was still there, not 100% sure though.

In this picture I took yesterday, you can see on the right the chicken coop. A couple of feet away (maybe, 50?) is the rabbit’s cage. If I was a raccoon, I would have gone with the chickens, as they weren’t locked in.

Attachments

• 3AAAE7CF-D477-4655-BC0E-C3226F4BAE3C.jpeg
    3AAAE7CF-D477-4655-BC0E-C3226F4BAE3C.jpeg
    669.2 KB · Views: 2
I believe the head was still there, not 100% sure though.

In this picture I took yesterday, you can see on the right the chicken coop. A couple of feet away (maybe, 50?) is the rabbit’s cage. If I was a raccoon, I would have gone with the chickens, as they weren’t locked in.
Regardless of what animal got the rabbit, it still chose the rabbit over the chickens, despite the chickens being a softer target.
I don't think animals are capable of the same level of critical thinking as humans are.

I agree with @Isadora a coon nay be smart, but it doesn't have critical thinking skills.
What ever the predator may be, it will be back. I'd make sure to lock up the chickens and secure the rabbits. Also, a raccoon will climb and will reach between the wire if it is able, so make sure they are secured in the coop, not just in the run. You'll need a different type of lock also.
Best of luck with your rabbits and your flock!

I agree with @Isadora a coon nay be smart, but it doesn't have critical thinking skills.
What ever the predator may be, it will be back. I'd make sure to lock up the chickens and secure the rabbits. Also, a raccoon will climb and will reach between the wire if it is able, so make sure they are secured in the coop, not just in the run. You'll need a different type of lock also.
Best of luck with your rabbits and your flock!
Thanks, will do!

Sorry for your loss. I'm also leaning towards coon. I have seen coons on my cameras but I also have electric wires around my coops and pens and they know the hot wires are there. Maybe the coons aren't as smart as in other places. Whatever the predator is, it will be back. I use spring hooks and so far nothing has been able to open them. I hope you were able to catch a picture on your camera. I love my cameras. Good luck...

Attachments

• SpringHook.jpg
    SpringHook.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom