RIR are they nice ??

A pic is worth a thousand words
smile.png

Agatha.jpg

Lee!! I love that picture!!! So cute!!! ....Think you could get a possum to do that?? See that other possum thread with that little boy hugging one?! Now that really made me wish I had petted that possum on my back porch that night, lol!!

My RIR's are constantly chatty too, they make some kind of noise nealry all the time while the Rocks are more quietly investigating things!! I love them both but the Rocks are my fav. ....don't tell my girls though!!
smile.png

I have read and heard that RIRs could be mean. I have never had a mean RIR not even the roosters. My current RIR rooster even looks out for the younger barred rock rooster that has already reached breeding age. My uncle used to have a RIR roo who attacked him and noone else. My uncle was mean as a snake too so that may of had something to do with it.

All my RIR hens were very sweet birds....The roosters turned into another story...too protective of their flock of hens around adults and children...

Last edited:
One of our favorites is our RIR Pepper she is a prankster! my DD will be out in the yard with the chickens and pepper will sneak up be hind her wait till she squats down and goose her right in the butt! Not mean or harmful just a love pinch and then she comes around to the front to be loved up! I'll have to try and get a pic!

I've only got one RIR chick that is the oldest of the bunch and she treat the others like they are her babies. She will be 5 weeks tomorrow and I have 2 NHR and 2 SLW that will be 4 weeks tomorrow and 2 BR, 2 BLRW and 1 BO that will be 3 weeks tomorrow. So far so good.

Last edited:
I have one RIR in with the other breeds. She is very sweet but not as demanding of attention as the BO and BRs. I saw a list once of the most agressive roos and RIR was #1. I think it depends on how much you handle and interact with them when they are young.

Back
Top Bottom