RIR chick not feathering out.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by briana1975, Apr 29, 2009.

1. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    My chicks are 4 weeks old today. My BR, Buff Orps and silkies seem to be feathering out very well. Most of the RIR peanuts are feathering out good. Roosters so seem to be slower than the pullets. But I have this one RIR that still, after 4 weeks has only wing feathers and little tuffs around neck. The rest of him is all streached chick fluff that he is out growing. He eats and drinks, seems healthy. What is up? He is very strange looking. Like he is out growing his chick fluff.

2. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    Im not sure what to tell you but some of mine feathered faster than others. As long as he seems healthy, maybe a nice high protein treat.

3. briana1975

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    I am happy I finally got a reply on this. The rest of my chicks are about ready to move out to the coop this weekend. I guess I will keep a heat light out there so this guy will stay warm.

4. JewellFarm

JewellFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Lebanon, Virginia
    I have two GLW that will be 4 weeks tomorrow. One is almost fully feathered and is beautiful, but the other is so pitifull. She is healthy and seems to be doing well but has hardly any feathers at all. Just a few starting on the tips of her wings. She looks so funny compared to the rest that I call her my alien chick. I know thats kind of mean but she does look weird.

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I know how ya feel. My most friendly chick is my smallest, runty RIR cockerel. He has so much fuzz left.
    He got at least half of the meal worms today because I couldn't seem to interest the snooty human-haters. Maybe he'll fatten up [​IMG]

6. amarook

amarook Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    Wellsburg
    My RIRs are 9 weeks old. I have one that went spraddle legs on me at 2 weeks. We did the taping for 2 weeks and it recovered. But its development is way behind. It looks like everyone else did at 4 weeks. It is much smaller, and is the scruffiest looking chick ever.

But it is slowly catching up.

Did yours have any issues?

7. I*Eat*Chickens*Yum

I*Eat*Chickens*Yum Chillin' With My Peeps

This is totally normal. I have raised quite a few RIR's. In addition I have raised Buff Orps, Barred Rocks, Brown Leghorns and Gold Laced Wyandottes and the RIR's are ALWAYS the last to feather out. Not sure why that is but it is normal.

Good luck !

8. briana1975

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    Quote:No my RIR has not had any issues. He is growing. He is the same size as most of them he is just looking kinda naked. No pecking just out growing his fuzz.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by