RIR Eggs

Lurch1

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 28, 2009
Perth, ON
My chicks are due today and started hatching last night. How long should I wait until I remove them? As of now, only 5 of15 have hatched. How long can they go without food and water?

I have found if I leave them in at least 24 hrs they seem to do better. Also it gives the other eggs a chance to hatch without disrupting the humidity. They are at a very crucial stage until all are hatched. Chicks really don't need food or water for 48-72 hrs, but I limit mine to about 30 hours, take them out and risk shrink wrapping the ones that have piped. And it does happen! Gotta watch all that is left close.
Good Luck!!
smile.png
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
So this is my hatch report. 6 hatched in total out of 15, 1 with assistance. The other figs are silent so I assume that means they are dead. So I am frustrated. I think I need to invest in an egg turner.

there are a lot of people that will disagree with me on this but I always pip into the air cell with a pair of tweezers to make sure they are dead. If I come accross one that is not I carefully try to locate the beek and get it thru the membrane then wet a stretched out cottonball and cover the pipped hole. Checking on it every few hours. Hatched many emus and chicks this way and have had little failure. But as long as there beek is out so it can get air I dont mess with the membrane so I dont cause any undue bleeding.

I opened them up and only 2 were fully developed. The rest had died at different stages. I really think I need an egg turner.

Back
Top Bottom