RiR feather sexing at 19 weeks.

Breeds do have general tendencies but I don't get too hung up on breed. I find there are more differences between individuals of the same breed that there are differences in similar breeds. RIR and New Hampshire are similar breeds, you don't need to do anything different. Those could just as easily be Production Reds as anything else. If you take those to a chicken show I very much doubt they'd qualify to be shown as any breed. Just treat them like production type chickens.

It's pretty much the same as any production breed. I've had some lay as early as 16 weeks. A couple once waited 9 months. That was frustrating.

I assume those are from a hatchery or a feed store. You only have two. That's not enough for breed averages to mean anything. Do you have one that hits the 16 week time or one that hits the 9 months? That would really throw off the averages with only two. If you had 100 the averages would mean something. With as few as ten hatchery production types I'd expect the first egg around 18 to 19 weeks. By 24 weeks I'd expect maybe half to be laying, sometimes even earlier. By 27 weeks I'd expect 9 or maybe all 10 to be laying. But when will an individual hen lay? It depends on the individual. I had some wait 9 months.

There are several signs that a pullet or hen might already be laying or will be laying soon. A bright red comb and wattles is one. The distance between her pelvic bones. A good one is to look at her vent. If it is big, soft, and moist she is laying or is very close. If it is tight and dry she is not ready to lay. Some people put a lot of faith in a pullet squatting. I don't, I once saw one squat 2 months before she laid her first egg. These are all signs she might be close. The only sign that really counts is when you actually see an egg.

Those certainly look ready. How sure are you that one or both aren't actually laying and hiding a nest on you? That can easily happen. They can be really good at hiding a nest.

Breeds have tendencies, some tend to have larger wattles than others. But you can get a lot of differences in comb and wattle develop within the same breed. Nothing unusual in what I see. I see two very normal production type red pullets. I think you will be pleased with them.
The depth of knowledge in this group is amazing and I appreciate Avery response.
After I was informed that they might actually be NHR I did a quick search and indeed they look exactly like the pictures I saw, some beautiful specimens that’s for sure I was actually worried about them being Roos because the RiR Roos have black feathers in their tail and wings, along with black neck feathers, looking at the NHR the physical characteristics of the two birds I have do match.

I’m not upset at the breed being different than I was told they were, but I did want RiRs for their egg laying abilities, the NHR are more of a dual purpose leaning towards meat production, the feed store I got them from “Kahoots” had them as RiRs, regardless I treat them exceptionally well, they free range and complain to be let out of their enclosure.

I checked their vents, both are just as you described moist and plump I’m getting excited.l, they are also pooping some huge poops and have discovered the endless supply of western fence lizards in our backyard, it was kind of disconcerting at first but entertaining to see them both going at it 😂

I checked the entire yard, coop, nesting boxes, under rocks 😝 still no eggs.

I’ll keep everyone in the loop :)

Well this happened :)
Poor girl was hollering for a good 10 minutes.

I showed them the nesting boxes today again and added a second golf ball, within 2 hours the very first egg was laid :) it’s a large size egg compared to store bought ones.

this is so cool I haven’t felt this excited and happy in a while.

Attachments

• 7BDE72D4-AE22-4D4E-98F8-7A1509FA7EA3.jpeg
    7BDE72D4-AE22-4D4E-98F8-7A1509FA7EA3.jpeg
    410.8 KB · Views: 4
Well this happened :)
Poor girl was hollering for a good 10 minutes.

I showed them the nesting boxes today again and added a second golf ball, within 2 hours the very first egg was laid :) it’s a large size egg compared to store bought ones.

this is so cool I haven’t felt this excited and happy in a while.
So exciting! Congratulations!!!

The depth of knowledge in this group is amazing and I appreciate Avery response.
After I was informed that they might actually be NHR I did a quick search and indeed they look exactly like the pictures I saw, some beautiful specimens that’s for sure I was actually worried about them being Roos because the RiR Roos have black feathers in their tail and wings, along with black neck feathers, looking at the NHR the physical characteristics of the two birds I have do match.

I’m not upset at the breed being different than I was told they were, but I did want RiRs for their egg laying abilities, the NHR are more of a dual purpose leaning towards meat production, the feed store I got them from “Kahoots” had them as RiRs, regardless I treat them exceptionally well, they free range and complain to be let out of their enclosure.

I checked their vents, both are just as you described moist and plump I’m getting excited.l, they are also pooping some huge poops and have discovered the endless supply of western fence lizards in our backyard, it was kind of disconcerting at first but entertaining to see them both going at it 😂

I checked the entire yard, coop, nesting boxes, under rocks 😝 still no eggs.

I’ll keep everyone in the loop :)
If it makes you feel better, you have a pretty special pair of ladies, there! New Hampshire Reds are on The Livestock Conservancy's Conservation Priority list. My NH hen is one of the most consistent layers of large, brown eggs in my coop. The only one that tops her is my Black Jersey Giant - and that's mainly just beasue Siri's eggs are so BIG!

Wow this is like a duck egg!

her second left is a store bought large AA organic egg.

I’m loving this :) and them

Attachments

• 4F0DEF5B-E4DA-40A6-828A-7B2CDE267B3A.jpeg
    4F0DEF5B-E4DA-40A6-828A-7B2CDE267B3A.jpeg
    281.8 KB · Views: 3
Hello Chicken world

I have a question, How reliable is feather sexing with RiR?
I have two 19 week old “pullets” that have been making an awful lot of noise, sometimes like a chicken would when laying an egg but no egg, their saddle feathers are as round as can be but their waddle are a little big for a hen, is that a rir physical characteristics?
What is the time range of first egg with RiRs?

why would they be making so much noise 😂

see their pictures below
That seems about right for 19 weeks. They should start laying any day now. My RIR matured really fast and started laying quick too.

Her last three eggs, two to the left are jumbo sized eggs
The last one is it’s own size category not sure what it’s called lol 😂
Giga egg? It weighs 3.3 oz 😳

Attachments

• 34C71EDA-6C08-4B32-8DE9-0DA042E2BC59.jpeg
    34C71EDA-6C08-4B32-8DE9-0DA042E2BC59.jpeg
    330.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 12469DD7-98C3-4325-8C50-1C3450E367B5.jpeg
    12469DD7-98C3-4325-8C50-1C3450E367B5.jpeg
    389.4 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom