RIR has a limp right foot

Pahlavinka

In the Brooder
May 19, 2018
Hey I have a rir that had a limp right foot about a month ago. I checked for humble and injury but found nothing. It seemed to have went away mostly after a few days. Now about a month later it's back. Wondering what anyone's thoughts were?

Hey I have a rir that had a limp right foot about a month ago. I checked for humble and injury but found nothing. It seemed to have went away mostly after a few days. Now about a month later it's back. Wondering what anyone's thoughts were?
How old is she?

Limping with no signs of injury, then it getting better only to come back could be Marek's.
Is she eating/drinking o.k.? What does her poop look like?
What do you feed?

Re-check for injury and limit her activity for a few days to see if that helps.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

How old is she?

Limping with no signs of injury, then it getting better only to come back could be Marek's.
Is she eating/drinking o.k.? What does her poop look like?
What do you feed?

Re-check for injury and limit her activity for a few days to see if that helps.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq
She is acting normal. Just that leg problem. I honestly think I know what happened and it was injury. There was a deer fawn under my coop and I went to let the chickens out. They spooked this fawn and I'm pretty sure he ran out and trampled her because I turned around to walk away and I heard a squak and saw the deer running through all these chickens. Then 20 minutes later she was limping. I could be wrong about this but it's what I think. Maybe it's reinjury?

She is acting normal. Just that leg problem. I honestly think I know what happened and it was injury. There was a deer fawn under my coop and I went to let the chickens out. They spooked this fawn and I'm pretty sure he ran out and trampled her because I turned around to walk away and I heard a squak and saw the deer running through all these chickens. Then 20 minutes later she was limping. I could be wrong about this but it's what I think. Maybe it's reinjury?
Also I'm pretty sure this chicken was vaccinated for mereks. I bought her as a pullet from a woman who raises hatchery stock. I could be wrong but the others that I have from the same batch have no symptoms or signs of anything.

Also I'm pretty sure this chicken was vaccinated for mereks. I bought her as a pullet from a woman who raises hatchery stock. I could be wrong but the others that I have from the same batch have no symptoms or signs of anything.
It's possible that she may have re-injured the leg if it did not heal properly to begin with.
If you have a way to limit her activity for a few days to see if she improves that might be a good idea.

The Marek's vaccine helps to prevent the formation of tumors, it does prevent infection from the virus, so even if vaccinated, birds can still ill.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Back
Top Bottom