1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

RIR hen getting white feathers in?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicklalette, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Chicklalette

Chicklalette Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2009
    We have a RIR hen about 2.5 years old, just went thru a molt and as she gets new feathers in they are white! She looks like a mottled RIR - anyone else seen this or know about it? Thanks

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Where did you get your R.I. Reds from? If you got them from a hatchery I would say that they are a Production Red and not a Rhode Island Red but there are a few thing that will make R.I. Red feathers turn/ molt to White.

1 - Breeding, genetically they are not pure R.I. Red and may have other breeds (that shouldn't be) in there make up.
    2 - Nutrition, What feed are you feeding, it could be lacking in something needed to keed there nice dark coloring.
    3 - Stress, Sometimes stress will cause White feathering.

Chris

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
  4. Chicklalette

Chicklalette Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2009
    Thank you for your response. Feeding - same as we been - Purina Layena, grains, sunflower seeds. We got her form McMurray Hatchery. She is at least looking more active and a little less lethargic. - this has been over a period of several months - turning white. Our other RIR just went thru a hard molt - not as bad a last year and all looks "normal" with her. Stress may be the issue for her. We have added our hatch to the flock over a period of months - they were raised next to the each other seperated by fencing - 3-4 mths to get used to each other 20 of the original flock and 35 of the hatch. The mixing went very well - but maybe this is a pecking order reaction. Good news is she is more active and looking better. She just has her own unique idea of style - she is expressing herself - actually that is probably the case.

Thank you - will keep in touch

5. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

She sounds just beautiful!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by