RIR Heritage Male x RIR Commercial Female = ?

Shahroon

In the Brooder
Dec 2, 2020
I have Rhode Island Red(RIR) Heritage Males and RIR Commercial Females, will there chicks be Heritage or Commercial? Which will be dominant gene? or will the chicks be more close to Heritage quality then the commercial one?
I know they are a lot of questions but please be simple so that I can understand.

Thanks in advance

They'll be neither, they'll be a mix. There's no dominant gene since the parents are the same breed, one's just better quality. The girl chicks might take more after the dad but I'd think it be really hard to tell.

I'm just concern for the quality of next generation. Will the next generation be more close to the quality of heritage or the commercial one?

Heritage and commercial aren't genes, they're types/breeding lines. The mixes won't be one or the other, but most will definately consider them not heritage

I'm just concern for the quality of next generation. Will the next generation be more close to the quality of heritage or the commercial one?
You might want to get some heritage hens then, because this isn't going to get you want you want.
'Heritage' is more of a style than a quality, so make sure you find a quality breeder.

They’ll be somewhere in between heritage and hatchery quality. So not heritage. If you kept breeding back to the heritage rooster, you’ll start to get better quality in the chicks.

They'll be neither, they'll be a mix. There's no dominant gene since the parents are the same breed, one's just better quality. The girl chicks might take more after the dad but I'd think it be really hard to tell.
That’s only the case with sex-linked genes, not overall closeness to the standard.

That’s only the case with sex-linked genes, not overall closeness to the standard.
I know that, I wasn't speaking on the standard, I should have clarified. Most heritage RIR are much darker, almost black at first glance and most hatchery birds are much lighter. Henchicks take after daddy. There's a slim, slight chance the female chicks when grown would be ever so slightly darker, but not much.

I know that, I wasn't speaking on the standard, I should have clarified. Most heritage RIR are much darker, almost black at first glance and most hatchery birds are much lighter. Henchicks take after daddy. There's a slim, slight chance the female chicks when grown would be ever so slightly darker, but not much.
The female chicks won’t take after the father more than the male chicks except in the case of sex-linked genes. Mahogany, which causes the dark red of an RIR, is not sex-linked.

Back
Top Bottom