RIR in winter in SC?

Crieke

Hatching
Jul 28, 2016
North Augusta SC
Hey guys! New member, first thread! (is there a bell to ring or something?)

I live in South Carolina and have 6 RIR hens (Well maybe 5 and a Roo--the jury is still out on how he/she identifies herself - what bathroom to use etc... The one in my avatar.

If they are closed in a coop with wood siding, metal roof in winter where it can get down in the teens at night do they need any source of heat? I hear RIRs are cold tolerant...

Greetings from Kansas, Crieke, and :welcome. Great to have you here. Yes, your RIRs should be able to stand anything a South Carolina winter can throw at them. Since they have an enclosed coop,you will have no worries. Where I live we get the occasional zero degrees or a couple degrees below and my birds, in their all metal uninsulated coop, are fine. Birds put off a lot of body heat. Best of luck to you!

Greetings from Kansas, Crieke, and
welcome-byc.gif
. Great to have you here. Yes, your RIRs should be able to stand anything a South Carolina winter can throw at them. Since they have an enclosed coop,you will have no worries. Where I live we get the occasional zero degrees or a couple degrees below and my birds, in their all metal uninsulated coop, are fine. Birds put off a lot of body heat. Best of luck to you!

Thanks! Didn't want Chick-sicles my first try at chickening! Is that a thing? Chickening? LOL.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom