RiR inactive

asad1129

Chirping
Dec 27, 2020
Hi All, so one of my rir's eyes look a bit off.
Can you check and confirm if all ok and if not what should i give it? Its a bit inactive aswell.
IMG_20210128_124412.jpg

Poo pics? One of three things (IMO) coccidiosis, worms or mareks.. I had hens do this and ended up not making it ( before I found this site) fecal test with a vet if possible. Start corid treatment asap, I think you can deworm at the same time but not sure.
Also separate her from all the others just incase.
@Kiki @aart

Eye looks like it might be a respiratory thing.
1611842233989.png

A lot more info needed before trying to suggest any treatment.

What do you mean by inactive?
Is she eating and drinking and pooping OK?
Isolate to check these things(see ** below)

How old is bird?
How long has eye been swollen?

@Wyorp Rock and/or @Eggcessive are the best at this type of thing.

**I isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so I can closely monitor their intake of food and water, crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed), and their poops. Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling. Check for external parasites or any other abnormalities.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

How old is this bird?
When was the last time you brought any new birds home?
What exactly do you feed?

A swollen eyelid may be from conjunctivitis or pinkeye. That could be due to a respiratory disease, such as mycoplasma (MG) or coryza. It also could be due to a peck in the eye from another chicken which has caused infection. Are there other symptoms, such as gasping or sneezing? Can you get antibiotics, such as enrofloxacin where you live? What is your location?

So it is the 2nd day with the symptoms and inactive like wen u give them a feed they come all excited and this bird leads the pack but since yesterday it has been like to itself walks around only runs wen u try and catch it.
I have given all the birds Erythromycin in the water, separated the bird in a wire cage and also i mixed softened whole wheat knead (pellet sized) with 1 finely ground paracetamol tablet for the night, they were like 15 20 pellets in total.
They are a total of 6 birds all came in together and had been kept in the same brooder wen i got them it's been 2 months now.

So it is the 2nd day with the symptoms and inactive like wen u give them a feed they come all excited and this bird leads the pack but since yesterday it has been like to itself walks around only runs wen u try and catch it.
I have given all the birds Erythromycin in the water, separated the bird in a wire cage and also i mixed softened whole wheat knead (pellet sized) with 1 finely ground paracetamol tablet for the night, they were like 15 20 pellets in total.
They are a total of 6 birds all came in together and had been kept in the same brooder wen i got them it's been 2 months now.
Why are you trying to give it pain medicine?
Stop.

What exactly do you feed it?
Get a few pictures of fresh poop.

Back
Top Bottom