RIR is sick but I don't know from what need help figuring it out

flock of 5

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 26, 2012
1) What type of bird , age and weight She is a RIR, just a little over a year her, not sure how much she weighs but she is losing weight
2) What is the behavior, exactly. She isn't laying, walks around with her tail feathers down and sits most of the time. Just noticed today 4/27/12 that she is walking funny and she also wont' fly into our raised garden bed that about a 1 1/2 feet off the ground.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 2-3 days
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? no
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma? no
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. I don't know
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. she eats laying feed and is drinking
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? seems normal but is sticking to her butt
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? I've given them all (i have 4) a round of Tylan for 3 days so far. I've also Oxined the coop and run
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? Would like to treat myself can't really afford a vet.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. This is of her vent

Last edited:
I would love to hear some responses to this, I am experiencing the same thing currently. I can not seem to get your video to work but from your description, it is exactly the same. So weird:(

I dont know why you gave your birds tylan. Do they have a respiratory disease? By your description of symptoms, they and the RIR dont have a respiratory disease. When birds act like your RIR, stick to the basics. It's usually one of three things or a combination; eggbound, lice/mites, or worms. If it's not one of these, then it's time to move "up the ladder."

I have ruled out eggbound, lice/mites, and worms. That is why I went to the tylan I figured if was something bacterial the tylan would take care of it, but she isn't getting better hence this post. I don't know what else to do at this point.

Well I'm sad to say the our Peanut Butter died it was marek's disease. I have this very sad feeling this aweful disease is going to get the rest of my chickens. I pray for Rainbow, Zebra and Blackie that they are safe from it. Only time will tell
hit.gif
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom