RIR Making a Racket...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by willu707, Sep 26, 2011.

1. willu707

willu707 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Hello everyone, just thought I would seek a little bit of advice. I have a flock of 6 hens (2 RIR, 1 Amber Sex-Link, 1 EE, 1 BarredRock and 1 Mix) and at least 2 are at egg laying age. The Amber Sex Link has been producing regular daily eggs for us for the past 2 weeks or longer, with many double yolkers in that time period. One of my RIR has not starting laying yet, but the other layed its first 2 days ago, and ever since the non-laying RIR just sits in our yard and makes the loudest most obnoxious noises I have ever heard from a hen. My question is why? Is she searching for her "sister" since they grew up together, or is she trying to lay eggs and just isnt comfortable. Im lost. Any help would be appreciated.

2. myhubbycallsmechickeemama

myhubbycallsmechickeemama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Arco, ID
    I have a RIR that does the same thing, not sure if she is laying or not but she certainly is a noisy lassy!!! I just assumed that she was cheering the other girls on because she gets really bad when one of the girls are in the nest boxes.

3. willu707

willu707 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Yea, thats a good way of looking at it. It still confuses me though, but I am new to chickens. This has been quite an experience, and I have grown to love them much more than I ever expectedwhen my wife talked me into it.
    Quote:

4. kiweed

kiweed Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Murfreesboro TN
    Not sure about the rir but this amber links can sure lay huh! My 2 are machines

5. Chicka-boom Chicka-boom

Chicka-boom Chicka-boom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    I read another thread with similar topic yesterday. One of the members said that making a loud racket was a good indication that their hen(s) were ready to begin egg laying soon. [​IMG] So, hopefully your RIR will be laying eggs in the near future [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by