RIR Making a Racket...

willu707

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 30, 2011
Hello everyone, just thought I would seek a little bit of advice. I have a flock of 6 hens (2 RIR, 1 Amber Sex-Link, 1 EE, 1 BarredRock and 1 Mix) and at least 2 are at egg laying age. The Amber Sex Link has been producing regular daily eggs for us for the past 2 weeks or longer, with many double yolkers in that time period. One of my RIR has not starting laying yet, but the other layed its first 2 days ago, and ever since the non-laying RIR just sits in our yard and makes the loudest most obnoxious noises I have ever heard from a hen. My question is why? Is she searching for her "sister" since they grew up together, or is she trying to lay eggs and just isnt comfortable. Im lost. Any help would be appreciated.

I have a RIR that does the same thing, not sure if she is laying or not but she certainly is a noisy lassy!!! I just assumed that she was cheering the other girls on because she gets really bad when one of the girls are in the nest boxes.

Yea, thats a good way of looking at it. It still confuses me though, but I am new to chickens. This has been quite an experience, and I have grown to love them much more than I ever expectedwhen my wife talked me into it.
Quote:

I read another thread with similar topic yesterday. One of the members said that making a loud racket was a good indication that their hen(s) were ready to begin egg laying soon.
D.gif
So, hopefully your RIR will be laying eggs in the near future
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom