RIR not laying??!!

Hayleytemplet

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 15, 2018
North Texas
I have a RIR hen that is a little over a year. We had 3 other different breed chickens but lost them to different things. My RIR is the only one left. She laid eggs daily until about Nov or Dec then only laid every other day or maybe every 2 days, but we were still getting anywhere from 3-4 eggs a week from her. Then 2 weeks ago she stopped laying completely. She still lays in the nesting box some but she is free range in the backyard constantly and all seems well other than not laying. I thought maybe she was egg bound possibly but she doesn't seem to act like it. No poop differences, not hard abdomen/vent area, no tail bobbing. I did soak her in Epsom salt on Sat to see but nothing came of it. I have not finger checked her vent yet and don't want to if she doesn't actually seem egg bound. Any other thoughts on why she might have stopped laying? She has no other symptoms or issues that I can tell. Still walking around great, uses the doggie door to come inside (she is a mess!), and acting normal as far as I can tell. I'm posting some pics of her poop and a video of her demeanor. 20190415_160701_Film1.jpg

Attachments

• 20190415_160720_Film1.jpg
    20190415_160720_Film1.jpg
    567.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 20190415_160711_Film1.jpg
    20190415_160711_Film1.jpg
    405.9 KB · Views: 14
She looks more like a production red than RIR. If she is free ranging she might have a nest hidden somewhere.
I have literally looked all over! She ALWAYS has laid in the nesting box. I don't even know where to look. I'm in a suburban neighborhood and have a decent backyard but fully fenced so I can't figure out where her secret nest would be!! Will I just have to stalk her and watch her all day to see if she goes somewhere??

I have literally looked all over! She ALWAYS has laid in the nesting box. I don't even know where to look. I'm in a suburban neighborhood and have a decent backyard but fully fenced so I can't figure out where her secret nest would be!! Will I just have to stalk her and watch her all day to see if she goes somewhere??

Just keep an eye on her. If she is a production red she may have difficulty with her reproductive system after a few years.

I have a RIR hen that is a little over a year. We had 3 other different breed chickens but lost them to different things.
How long ago did you lose the other birds...and how did they die?
(sorry for your loss)
Is the pic in the first post current?
She looks plenty 'red' there.

You might check her pelvic points:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

If points are spread, you might try confining her to the coop for a week.
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

I assume you are in the northern hemisphere?
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-4-16_8-9-32.png

I am located in North Texas. We have had a pretty wet two weeks with weird temperatures. We have gone from mid 70's and low 80's to 50's and back and forth. We lost our other girls end of last year in late Nov - early Dec. So She has been without her "friends" for the past 5 months with no issues at all. Still laying a few eggs a week. I assumed the lower production (from daily to only like 3 or 4 eggs a week) was due to the winter "molt" even though she didn't lose any feathers. I had hoped she would pick back up as things warmed up and spring came around... but she went backwards! lol!

Like I said, she ACTS fine and seems fine but just no eggs. I have hunted EVERYWHERE in my yard to find a "stash" but no such luck. She isn't broody. Doesn't sit in the box for long periods of time or anything, but does go in there and I think she is laying but then comes out and nothing. The pictures in the original post were taken that day so they are VERY current. She comes in my house periodically thorughout the day because she knows how to come in through my doggie door so she lets herself in. She will peck at the dry dog food a bit if there is any there and will come and snuggle in and lay on the carpet for a bit as well. I have a box with shavings inside for her to nest if she wants and she will get in there and lay but again, nothing. She doesn't seem stressed or struggling at all.

I know chickens are social birds and when we lost our others we planned to get more but she has seemed fine with just my dog and us as her social interaction so we have just waited. We are hoping to get some pullets in the next month maybe and then join them after a while. I wasn't sure if maybe she stopped laying because she wants some friends or something else.

I will try the link you posted about the pelvic points and maybe seclude her to the coop/run for a couple days. I put a fake egg in there today so maybe that will remind her that she is slacking! lol! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom