1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

RIR? One guy looks different....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by krystallynne, Mar 11, 2012.

1. krystallynne

krystallynne In the Brooder

Feb 20, 2012
    Twentynine Palms, CA
    My hubby got 10 hatched chicks from the feed store and they told us they were RIR. I have one roo (i think) that looks very different from the bunch. Im a chicken novice and have no idea. I figured Id come to the experts for advice. Out of the 10 I think I see 6 roos and 4 girls. Are these true RIR or some other type, and if they are whats up with the black one? (I was in the process of changing out the litter when I took these pics. My chicks dont sleep on bare floors)

[​IMG]
    Whats up with the black one? RIR?

[​IMG]
    Girls on the bottom boys on top? I think they are all RIR but I read that true RIR dont have the white tips.[​IMG]

Roo in the front pullet in the back?
    [​IMG]
    Im seeing 3 roos? Do you?
    [​IMG]
    I think these a girls
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Songster

Oct 2, 2009
    I'm actually seeing a lot of roos. Any that you see with red combs are roos.

3. krystallynne

Feb 20, 2012
    Twentynine Palms, CA
    Thats what I thought! What do you think about the breed?

4. Lapaysannefarm

Lapaysannefarm Chirping

Mar 1, 2012
    Virginia
    3-4 roos? Look like RIR or Red productions.

5. Gvnam

Gvnam Chirping

Sep 16, 2011
    Yes, I also see multiple roosters mixed in, sorry :/

And they look like my Production Reds did when I had gotten them. Real Rhode Island Reds called Heritage Rhode Island Reds are more rare. Most likely you have a production red which is a hybrid of a rhode island and a new hampshire or any other red.

As for the darker one, I don't really know... Maybe it is just the coloration, different genes... hard to tell.
    Only time will tell :p
    Good Luck!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  6. krystallynne

Feb 20, 2012
    Twentynine Palms, CA
    Thanks for the info! Looks like Im 0 for 2 lol. Ill start researching production reds I hope they are good birds!

7. Gvnam

Gvnam Chirping

Sep 16, 2011
    They are great layers. This winter, mine never skipped a day laying. They don't seem to be too social though.

8. farmerChef

farmerChef Songster

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    Can you post a better picture of the diiferent one, the pic is kind of blurry. What did he look like as a chick, was he solid yellow, or was he chipmunked?

9. krystallynne

Feb 20, 2012
    Twentynine Palms, CA
    I'll try and get a better picture and post it for you. They all looked exactly the same until recently.

10. kjk66ss

kjk66ss Chirping

Nov 18, 2011
    chatsworth,ca
    how old are these chicks?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by