RIR? Pullet or Cockrel?

Karenbear

Chirping
Apr 4, 2015
Rocky Mount NC
I am thinking that these are RIR. I know I def have one cockrel but I am not sure of the others. This one is one I am not sure of.

The of the three in the middle of this pic, I know the one to the far left is a cockrel, the other two I am not sure of. They are 3 months old. The one I am sure of his comb is getting taller and his wattles are getting longer and they are VERY Red.....He is also getting longer hackle feathers and his tail feathers are curling and very dark. The other two have shorter combs and no longer hackle feathers and their tale feathers are straight.

Here are my wild guesses:

#1 probably pullet
#2 cockerel, cockerel, pullet
#3 probably cockerel, pullet, cockerel
#4 pullet
#5 cockerel in full view, dunno 'bout the others

I suspect that I have given two different opinions on some of the birds though!

Here are my wild guesses:

#1 probably pullet
#2 cockerel, cockerel, pullet
#3 probably cockerel, pullet, cockerel
#4 pullet
#5 cockerel in full view, dunno 'bout the others

I suspect that I have given two different opinions on some of the birds though!
Those are pretty close to my guesses as well. One of the ones in question is #2 one facing camera. Has wattles and Comb but not near as dark as the one to the left who I know is a Cockerel nor near as long. Also is not getting the hackle feathers my Cockerel is getting. My Cockerel is getting the colorful tail feathers as well. The other one in question was the one in pic #3 all the way to the left. Again wattles and comb a bit larger but very pink...not red like my Cockerel.

I am thinking that these are RIR. I know I def have one cockrel but I am not sure of the others. This one is one I am not sure of.

The of the three in the middle of this pic, I know the one to the far left is a cockrel, the other two I am not sure of. They are 3 months old. The one I am sure of his comb is getting taller and his wattles are getting longer and they are VERY Red.....He is also getting longer hackle feathers and his tail feathers are curling and very dark. The other two have shorter combs and no longer hackle feathers and their tale feathers are straight.

Not sure on far left, cockerel, cockerel, probably pullet.

Cockerel, probable pullet, cockerel.

Probable pullet, white bird is likely a male too.

Bird with head showing is a male.

That's a question that may get you different answers. The reason why is hatcheries breed for egg laying. Leghorn has been breed into most of the birds they offer many generations back. What you have is a hatchery quality Rhode Island Red but what I would simply call a Production Red. A true Rhode Island Red will be mahagony in color with no gold at all. They would also mature into a brick shape. It's quite distinct and their true color and shape rather stunning for a single color bird. But that's standard bred birds for you compared to hatchery, there is very little other than the cursory glance in common with one another.

This was to be informative only and no insult intended. What you have is a very nice egg laying machine. Seriously, I had some of these and they gave me extra large and jumbo eggs nine days in a row skip a day and right back at it. Huge eggs and lots of them. You will never get that from standard bred, aka heritage, birds. They wont have the years of laying that standard bred do though. Two years of fantastic laying and by third year will be time to think of new birds and making soup. I let mine go to fall ( before molting) of third year so 2.5 years old. Replenished with chicks that were grown out in small coop pen from that spring. Cycle of life.

That's a question that may get you different answers. The reason why is hatcheries breed for egg laying. Leghorn has been breed into most of the birds they offer many generations back. What you have is a hatchery quality Rhode Island Red but what I would simply call a Production Red. A true Rhode Island Red will be mahagony in color with no gold at all. They would also mature into a brick shape. It's quite distinct and their true color and shape rather stunning for a single color bird. But that's standard bred birds for you compared to hatchery, there is very little other than the cursory glance in common with one another.

This was to be informative only and no insult intended. What you have is a very nice egg laying machine. Seriously, I had some of these and they gave me extra large and jumbo eggs nine days in a row skip a day and right back at it. Huge eggs and lots of them. You will never get that from standard bred, aka heritage, birds. They wont have the years of laying that standard bred do though. Two years of fantastic laying and by third year will be time to think of new birds and making soup. I let mine go to fall ( before molting) of third year so 2.5 years old. Replenished with chicks that were grown out in small coop pen from that spring. Cycle of life.
Thank you no insult taken. I do appreciate all the information I can get.

Back
Top Bottom