1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

RIR question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Firework, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Firework

Firework Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Minneeesooodaaa
    Are RIR hens mean? I have some 2 year old RIR hens mixed in with the rest of my chichens and they seem to be more mean /grumpy. And they are always being nasty to the other chickens. If one of my other birds is on the roost and my RIR wants to be there she will just peck them and they will yell and move. I also have a RIR roo, and he is really sweet!! Is it because of the hens age? Or are they just like that? The roo is almost the same age as the hens. He's so sweet. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2009
  2. musson

musson Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2009
    Hillsborough NC
    I have a RIR hen and she is not mean or aggressive at all. Of the 3 big birds she bothers the little ones the least.

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

All my hens are at least half RIR, and they are competitive, but I would not say mean. Try feeding in more than one place- I do agree that if a bird is trying to establish dominance, the roost is a place you will see it clearly.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by