RIR Roo not wanting to breed hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by EAST TEXAROO, Jun 20, 2009.

1. EAST TEXAROO

EAST TEXAROO In the Brooder

Jun 20, 2009
    Larue
    I have a 1 1/2 year old rir roo that does not want to mate my hens. He struts his stuff and dances for the hens and they submit to him and hunker down but he will not mount them. I have 6 rir and 6 barred rock hens, The rir are more willing to breed than the barred rocks. I got him from a good friend and he said that the roo was not the dominate one on the farm, will this have anything to do with it? Will he snap out of it and breed my beautiful ladies?

2. skeeter9

skeeter9 Songster

Most likely he will snap out of it once he gets it firmly in his mind that he is top roo now. Also, he may be mating them when you aren't around. Have you checked any of your eggs for fertility?

3. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I have a Dom and a RIR roos that would take turns on the girls until they went to roo jail for aggrivated rape. We returned the Dom to the girls and he is much nicer now. Could have been because of the compotition from the other roo. The girls dont try to run away either. They actually engourage it from the Dom. And he doens't bother the younger girls at all. Acts like they aren't even there.

4. Over Easy in Adna

Over Easy in Adna Songster

Feb 1, 2009
    Adna Washington
    Hmmmmm, sounds like he is just.......uhhhhh......."not interested"............not that there is anything wrong with that. [​IMG]

5. Quote:I have a RIR in jail too. The hens are scared to death of him as he pulls hunks of feathers out trying to catch them. His name is Ole One Eye because he escaped and my Buff Orp spurred his eye.

Have you asked your hens to dance in a suggestive manner? [​IMG]
    Maybe get him a roo. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: