RIR Roo VS Buff Orpington Roo

mountainpridefarm

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 3, 2010
I just got two free roosters from an ad on craigslist. Two really nice 6 month old guys - no spurs yet. They were from McMurray but they are HUGE! Anyway I am debating on which one will go in the freezer and which one will stay with the girls. Eggs, are great but meat is equally as great. 50/50. The RIR is really well muscled and believe it or not is much friendlier. The orpington looks huge but he is really fluffy. I have production reds so I am not sure which will be better to go with them

ALSO --- They are about twice the size of my hens and they are REALLY mean to them. Just brought them home tonight so the coop is dark. Wondering what I will wake up to....will they kill my girls?

I'm not sure we're in the right section for this, but i don't think i would've recommended throwing them in with the girls without a quarantine period and then an introduction period - so that no one gets killed the first night together.

I hope everyone turns out o.k.

I haven't eaten b.o.s yet, but i have eaten rir. Very good, but i would hurry and butcher him. I think he's probably going to have to be soup for you. But he'll be good soup.

Quote:
I am asking about meat qualities??

Yes i know.

I meant that my comments about quarantining, etc., might not be in the right section. I wasn't saying that your question was in the wrong section.

Sorry to be confusing.
hide.gif

ok do this kill the red if u like it then buy more reds remember it was a red stick to what u like and if u din't like it at least u know u don't like chicken spare the orpington u r already in lovewith him anyway
fl.gif

then is a no brainer who would you trust on caring for ur hens the mean one or the wimp

Well the orpington is mean to me not really the hens. I care more about which one will make better DP crosses.

Back
Top Bottom