RIR... Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ALChickGal, Sep 22, 2013.

1. ALChickGal

ALChickGal Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2013
    Boy, these chickens are changing so quickly! This morning, I noticed how pronounced the comb and waddle are on this RIR (appx. 24 wks old). The tail feathers are not sticking out much, but the wing feathers do look a little more pointed than rounded. This chicken had just come in out of a misting rain, btw. Is it a rooster? Thanks for your help.. again. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Pullet. And getting close to laying her first egg... roo would look different from this all over.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  3. SandeeC

SandeeC Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with Kev, Definitely a point of lay pullet :)

4. speedyfuzzball

speedyfuzzball Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2013
    Long Island, NY
    Yep, I'd say pullet as well.. I have one (21 weeks) with a bigger comb and wattles and she just laid her first egg yesterday!

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree with everyone else; you have a hen. Roosters would be showing pointed saddle, hackle, and sickle feathers, along with thicker legs and a larger comb/wattles by now. The well-developed comb on your hen just means that she'll be laying soon!

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Definitely pullet. You should be getting some eggs very soon, judging by comb size.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Female.

8. CedarAcres

CedarAcres Sunny Side Up

Mar 18, 2013
    Connecticut
    My Coop
    Pullet!

9. ALChickGal

ALChickGal Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2013
    Wow! Thank you, Everyone!! I am so thankful to hear that she is a... SHE! :) I didn't know that about the comb and/or wattle. Is that true of most breeds? We got our first eggs this week. I do know that one of the RIRs is laying because I watched her lay one day this week. The RIRs are all the same age, so maybe we will be getting more soon! I have so much to learn! Thank you for your help!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by