RIR Rooster skin Red, no bugs, what could be going on?

Carlatri

In the Brooder
Jul 27, 2021
0A9CD996-A92E-4FEB-B0F0-FA39E32C8147.jpeg

99662251-D44E-4E11-8137-2F1B8032B8F8.jpeg
60FC951D-DDB8-4E0A-BBBE-D3CB1A9F239F.jpeg

Yes he’s my only Rooster. I’ve noticed hen pecking at his neck sometimes. I have 4 hens. He’s a young rooster and is not gentle with love making. I had to wrangle him to give worm medicine so really tried to check for bugs. He got away once and left me with a handful of feathers which I studied closely under magnifying glass. Couldn’t see any bugs. What can w do to help him?

If the hens are plucking him, separation would be a way to stop the habit.

What do you feed?

A rooster will stand and let hens groom and/or pluck them. Watch to see if the hens are also eating the feathers. If they are, increase protein, but if they are already in the habit of feather plucking, separation for a while may still be needed.

Any feathers that are broken or where the feather follicle is still intact will not be replaced until the bird molts.

When it comes to mating - chicken mating is not that pretty and sometimes not that gentle. We all have our tolerances when it comes to mating. If he's not hurting the hens, then likely it's fine.

If the hens are plucking him, separation would be a way to stop the habit.

What do you feed?

A rooster will stand and let hens groom and/or pluck them. Watch to see if the hens are also eating the feathers. If they are, increase protein, but if they are already in the habit of feather plucking, separation for a while may still be needed.

Any feathers that are broken or where the feather follicle is still intact will not be replaced until the bird molts.

When it comes to mating - chicken mating is not that pretty and sometimes not that gentle. We all have our tolerances when it comes to mating. If he's not hurting the hens, then likely it's fine.
Currently they have access to 20% protein laying mash, they free roam in the day, they are getting boiled eggs a few times a week, scrapes ( fruit, corn on the cob, meat scraps, lettuce) we’ve been dealing with tape worms for awhile, finally administered individual doses and will follow up again in 10 days. All my chickens look pretty rough.in the pictures his leg skin is even red. Could it be hormonal? Been reading other posts.

Currently they have access to 20% protein laying mash, they free roam in the day, they are getting boiled eggs a few times a week, scrapes ( fruit, corn on the cob, meat scraps, lettuce) we’ve been dealing with tape worms for awhile, finally administered individual doses and will follow up again in 10 days. All my chickens look pretty rough.in the pictures his leg skin is even red. Could it be hormonal? Been reading other posts.
Photos of the legs may help, but roosters can have a reddish streak down the side of the leg which often indicates hormones.
You may see it in hens a well.

Back
Top Bottom