RIR with confusing symptoms

Chickenslol

Songster
Sep 26, 2020
idk man, no clue
I have an 3 year old Rhode Island Red with some confusing issues, but she is undoubtedly sick. She is usually very energetic and mobile but today she is slow and puffed up, with a droopy comb. her crop feels like it’s full of water with a few solids, which made my think either sour crop, or she’s been drinking a ton of water and not eating. her abdomen is swollen, so she could be egg bound and it seems like she’s pushing but i don’t feel anything solid inside her abdomen. It also doesn’t feel squishy like water belly. she’s been pooping yellowish runny stuff with some solids, which makes me think broken egg,
52C45A89-3BE7-4EE1-9238-9FFBFCE2AD24.jpeg
but i don’t feel anything solid or any chunks in her abdomen. It’s possible it could be a soft shelled egg that’s broken or a reproductive disorder but I’m looking for some guidance before i dive in to that theory

thanks!

Do you know when she last laid a normal egg? I would give her a calcium citrate +D tablet or capsule once daily for a few days, that will help with contractions to help expel anything else. An antibiotic might be in order, sometimes once they expel everything then all is well, but it can be a place for bacteria to set in. If she's not perking up, then I'd probably do that. Amoxicillin can be gotten as Fish Mox or Aqua Mox online without a prescription. Or enrofloxacin can be gotten from pigeon suppliers without prescription.
https://jedds.com/products/enrofloxacin-10?_pos=1&_sid=0b971a196&_ss=r
The swollen abdomen is concerning, makes me wonder of she's been having issue for a while and just now it's become obvious, they are very good at hiding symptoms. For some hens, once this starts it becomes a chronic thing, but sometime is just a glitch. If she's just coming back into lay, a glitch is more likely. When reproductive issues become advanced it will often slow or stop digestion, which can cause the crop to back up. If it's a reproductive problem, those are often not fixable. With a bloated abdomen, that seems more likely. It may just be the lighting in the picture, but her comb color doesn't look very healthy either. Antibiotics might help, but it will often recur. For birds that are pets and you really want to save, then a suprelorin implant (hormones) will stop her from laying anymore. That has to be done by a vet, is not inexpensive, and has to be redone periodically.

Do you know when she last laid a normal egg? I would give her a calcium citrate +D tablet or capsule once daily for a few days, that will help with contractions to help expel anything else. An antibiotic might be in order, sometimes once they expel everything then all is well, but it can be a place for bacteria to set in. If she's not perking up, then I'd probably do that. Amoxicillin can be gotten as Fish Mox or Aqua Mox online without a prescription. Or enrofloxacin can be gotten from pigeon suppliers without prescription.
https://jedds.com/products/enrofloxacin-10?_pos=1&_sid=0b971a196&_ss=r
The swollen abdomen is concerning, makes me wonder of she's been having issue for a while and just now it's become obvious, they are very good at hiding symptoms. For some hens, once this starts it becomes a chronic thing, but sometime is just a glitch. If she's just coming back into lay, a glitch is more likely. When reproductive issues become advanced it will often slow or stop digestion, which can cause the crop to back up. If it's a reproductive problem, those are often not fixable. With a bloated abdomen, that seems more likely. It may just be the lighting in the picture, but her comb color doesn't look very healthy either. Antibiotics might help, but it will often recur. For birds that are pets and you really want to save, then a suprelorin implant (hormones) will stop her from laying anymore. That has to be done by a vet, is not inexpensive, and has to be redone periodically.
1) Not really sure when she last laid an egg, i’m in MA and the weather has been blistering lately so most of my chickens haven’t been laying. I’ve also been reducing the amount of time spent in the coop so that they can keep the heat inside.
2) if it is a “glitch” it’s probably most likely caused by the weather and stress but i worry that at this point it’s not quite reversible, especially if it morphs into an infection in her abdomen
3) i’m perfectly prepared to lose this chicken, as much as I love my girls and i want them to get better i’m not in the financial position to pay for veterinary care.
4) thanks for the treatment suggestion, i will definitely look into getting that stuff and see if it helps out, for now i’ve been giving her mash with some oyster shell but she really doesn’t seem like eating

plus an update: since laying the first egg she is still pretty lethargic, but once i take her out of her little infirmary and let her walk she seems pretty alert. abdomen is still swollen :( she’s continuing to poop egg material and i’m hoping that she can start to get rid of some of this material before her reproductive tract starts to lay another egg and she gets even more backed up
407F81DD-0C5F-4DA7-9EFC-E0A094B2531C.jpeg

(as small as it looks it’s actually a pretty good amount)

If you want to try to treat I would start an antibiotic as soon as you can. The calcium you can get anywhere, and that might help with expelling any more material inside. Those two things are not horribly expensive to try. I'd keep an eye on her. My personal experience with hatchery RIR's has been a very high percentage of reproductive problems. :(

If you want to try to treat I would start an antibiotic as soon as you can. The calcium you can get anywhere, and that might help with expelling any more material inside. Those two things are not horribly expensive to try. I'd keep an eye on her. My personal experience with hatchery RIR's has been a very high percentage of reproductive problems. :(
thanks! After I finish my shift i’ll run over to CVS and pick up the tablets, I just checked and it looks like they have them. I can order the antibiotics but i’m really unsure about if she’ll survive long enough for them to even be delivered. i think the move right now is to monitor her symptoms and see if it’ll pass, if not that’s ok, there’s not much i could do

I understand. The amoxicillin has a long shelf life and is nice to have on hand even if you don't use it this time. I don't treat as many things as I used to, but still keep several meds on hand for emergencies.

Day 2 update,

she seems about the same, crop has not emptied, comb still droopy, abdomen pretty swollen. Still very alert and eating and drinking fine. Ive been giving her calcium citrate tablets crushed in her water, one today and one yesterday. only real difference is that her stools have moved from “egg material” to normal chicken diarrhea. Considering getting some Fish Mox because it looks like i can get it at my local Walmart, but probably tomorrow. Crop also feels less filled with water and a little bit more normal, if only it would empty before it goes sour.

ok PHEW. i just got back from petsmart, walmart and tractor supply did not have amoxicillin. petsmart has E. M Erythromycin for fish. I know that this is not the preferred antibiotic, but it is an antibiotic that can be used on chickens, so a win is a win. Today she is looking pretty normal, if not pooping more. her crop is a little smaller today (wooooo) so i have a little bit of false hope that maybe i can get this all out of her system. by some miracle her crop has not gone sour and she is still just as alert. While I’m aware that these issues could reoccur, i really think the stark transition from warm to really cold could have triggered this problem, and i wouldn’t want to give up if it was something that could be flushed out

Back
Top Bottom