1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

RIR

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by blue fire, Jul 12, 2007.

1. blue fire

blue fire Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Are Rhode Island Reds supossed to have black on ther tail and wing feathers?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, they are. Here's my breeder quality RIR pullet to show you:
    [​IMG]

3. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Wow, looks like one of my girls is not a RSL but is a Rhode Island Red. she looks exactly like that but older (5 months). She's laying a nice brown egg everyday. I guess the feed store must have had her in the wrong bin. She has a little bit of black on her wings and tail.

4. speckledhen

The one in the back of the pic is a RIR/Buff Orp cross pullet. I like the purebreds in general better myself than the sexlinks, just their looks, so I dont have any RSL or BSL. I do have some crosses, obviously, though. I love the look of a really dark, pure RIR, but I must admit, my RIR/Buff Orp cross is much friendlier, owing to her Buff Orp mother, no doubt. They have the same father, those two.

5. blue fire

blue fire Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Thanx

6. Rooster01

Rooster01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Southern WV
    True RIRs are dark red . Alot of the ones you get from feed stores are Production Reds. I believe they only differance is that Production Reds are lighter in color.

7. speckledhen

They are certainly supposed to be dark red. I know Ideal was selling Rhode Island Reds and Production Reds and I saw both at the feedstore here. The Pro Reds are a light color, the RIR's slightly darker. I have three of their RIR's, all lighter than my Scarlett, who came from a breeder with a beautiful mahogany RIR rooster.

8. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    The one I thought was a RSL but looks like a RIR is a dark red with a curled black fathered tail. She is freindly and follows me everywhere. I don't have any pictures to post but will try soon.

Karen

9. speckledhen

Here is a better picture of my dark RIR, Scarlett. She is a very tall girl. The other redhead is her half-sister, Meg, who has a Buff Orpington mother. Scarlett is what the RIR's are supposed to look like, but rarely do anymore. My hatchery RIRs look very much like Meg, who isn't even a purebred, although I love her and she lays huge eggs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2007
  10. turnerstar31

turnerstar31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    My RIRs are the lighter color ones. I got them from a feed store and they give me nice eggs and beautiful babies so all in all I am happy with them. To tell you the truth I really did not know that they got that dark as I have always seen the lighter ones. Now looking at the dark colored ones I really would like some because their color is beautiful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by