RIR

Yes, they are. Here's my breeder quality RIR pullet to show you:
DCP_7435.jpg

Wow, looks like one of my girls is not a RSL but is a Rhode Island Red. she looks exactly like that but older (5 months). She's laying a nice brown egg everyday. I guess the feed store must have had her in the wrong bin. She has a little bit of black on her wings and tail.

The one in the back of the pic is a RIR/Buff Orp cross pullet. I like the purebreds in general better myself than the sexlinks, just their looks, so I dont have any RSL or BSL. I do have some crosses, obviously, though. I love the look of a really dark, pure RIR, but I must admit, my RIR/Buff Orp cross is much friendlier, owing to her Buff Orp mother, no doubt. They have the same father, those two.

True RIRs are dark red . Alot of the ones you get from feed stores are Production Reds. I believe they only differance is that Production Reds are lighter in color.

They are certainly supposed to be dark red. I know Ideal was selling Rhode Island Reds and Production Reds and I saw both at the feedstore here. The Pro Reds are a light color, the RIR's slightly darker. I have three of their RIR's, all lighter than my Scarlett, who came from a breeder with a beautiful mahogany RIR rooster.

The one I thought was a RSL but looks like a RIR is a dark red with a curled black fathered tail. She is freindly and follows me everywhere. I don't have any pictures to post but will try soon.

Karen

Here is a better picture of my dark RIR, Scarlett. She is a very tall girl. The other redhead is her half-sister, Meg, who has a Buff Orpington mother. Scarlett is what the RIR's are supposed to look like, but rarely do anymore. My hatchery RIRs look very much like Meg, who isn't even a purebred, although I love her and she lays huge eggs.
DCP_7665.jpg

DCP_7660.jpg

Last edited:
My RIRs are the lighter color ones. I got them from a feed store and they give me nice eggs and beautiful babies so all in all I am happy with them. To tell you the truth I really did not know that they got that dark as I have always seen the lighter ones. Now looking at the dark colored ones I really would like some because their color is beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom