Rir

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Rachelj07, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Rachelj07

Rachelj07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2009
    I have 4 hens and 2 roosters. Well we think 4 hens, though they are all the same age and one of them is not laying. I think we got 4 eggs twice (three eggs the day before, so I know we didn't miss one). I'm not sure why it won't be laying like the rest of them? But below is a picture of them? Are they the single comb? Or the other type of comb (is it rose comb)?? They were from Townline Hatchery here in MI. We have hatched their checks and they are beautiful! I was wondering if there was any method of sexing I might be able to do, to even have a few chances at telling gender. I have 6 leg bands so I can test a theory and see how it works out. Any suggestions.

(Note the birds in the picture are the parents)

[​IMG]

2. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    I can't get the pic to come in very clear...don't know if its the pic, or my computer....On the chicken in the foreground of the pic (the one that the head is missing lol) It looks like the feathers are shiny? On the back by the tail... If they are, and not just the pic, thats usually a pretty good indicator that its a rooster lol

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:R.I. Red Hens and Roosters should have black tails.

Chris

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:In the picture that you posted I see one rooster and he is the one to the left of the picture..

So that you know Townline Hatchery doesn't sell Rose Comb R.I. Reds.

Chris

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    In the picture there are 3 hens and 1 RIR rooster. All are single combed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by