RIR'S, SHOULD THEY LOOK LIKE THIS?????

There are hatchery RIR's that are lighter red, alot of the time they are rust colored. They dont really have their own type, they are just red birds with a single comb and yellow legs that lay brown eggs.
Then there are "heritage" or show type RIR's. With alot of the show type RIR's they are a deep dark mahogany red, some look black with a red tint, they are something else when compared to hatchery birds. The show RIR's also have their own type that meets the standard. Overall they are brick shaped with the males having a tail of 10 degrees and females with a tail angle of 20 degrees. They have brilliant yellow legs and nice medium combs, they come in single comb and rose comb.

Also I remember reading in the APA that the RIW's are considered a seperate breed, they have leghorn, wyandotte, rock, and maybe RIR if I remember correctly. The RIW's are taller from what I have seen and they have to have a rose comb.

I went and checked and RIW's have partridge cochin, RC white leghorn, and white wyandotte in them. They are supposed to have the same type as the RIR but they are listed as a seperate breed in the standard.

Boy am I out of luck. It's a good thing I didn't put them in the fair. Now I need to get some heritage" or show type RIR's.

Anyone know where I can get them?

Thanks

I have one true RIR I purchased that was left over from the Deerfield fair. She is stunningly beautiful with a deep red mahogany color with black in the tips of her tail feathers. She walked right over to me when we were looking at other birds and just looked at me......I had to take her home with me.....haha.

She is definitely a people bird as she loves to sit on my lap when my husband and I spend our time sitting together in the chicken house......haha....with a couple of folding lawn chairs. Seems to have become our favorite pastime watching and observing the flock.

I got two supposedly RIR's that turned out to be roosters from some other man....out of 12 supposedly almost laying pullets we got 5 roosters out of him. We were naive but have since sharpened our chicken knowledge......haha.

But I absolutely love this particular RIR and was told it is the nature of a true RIR to have a friendly dispostion.

Now I need to get a true RIR rooster to breed her with as she is my favorite.

I am not picture savvy or I would post her on here.

Hey what is riw? I'm never gonna know if I don't ask, right?
idunno.gif
Peace

My RIR girls look like that too, one has a little more black feathers than the other. My roo has almost doubled in size since you were here but looks very much like yours. I got my chicks at Tractor Supply, I dont know anybody around here that sells them.

Yes, they are hatchery stock. Good layers but not intended for show; they are bred for production. The ones I had were a bit lighter weight than heritage RIRs, too. At the time I had never ordered from a hatchery before and had no idea they generally sell production birds. Silly me, I was expecting birds that looked like my original ones that came from my grandfather's flock. Boy, was I disappointed! Now I am working to reestablish his original line. Easier said than done!

HTH

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom