RIRs?

MrsAuberry00

Songster
Apr 30, 2017
Southern Indiana
My Coop
My Coop
When we bought these pullets, we were told they were RIRs. As they've gotten older, (even though I don't know their exact age, I think they are between 16 and 20 weeks,) though, I'm not sure they are actually RIRs. The feathers on their head and neck are a beautiful russet color with a darker brown/black V in the center of each feather. There are coloring differences on the pictures of them roosting...the lighter one is because the flash went off.

Any educated suggestions on what breed they might actually be? TIA
IMG_20170614_200540.jpg
IMG_20170614_200551.jpg
IMG_20170614_201219.jpg

The two red birds look like a Rhode Island Red rooster (in the front), a RIR hen in the middle, and the Barred Rock seem to be a cockerel. I know you're not inquiring about the barred rock one ☺️

I think the red birds are hatchery quality RIR (often called production Reds).

The first one, in the front, is probably a rooster...however, there is hope, if you think they are close to 20 weeks, then one of them may be maturing to lay, hence larger comb and red...but that's pretty large wattles, so I'm thinking rooster as well.

The other is a pullet.

LofMc

I think the red birds are hatchery quality RIR (often called production Reds).

The first one, in the front, is probably a rooster...however, there is hope, if you think they are close to 20 weeks, then one of them may be maturing to lay, hence larger comb and red...but that's pretty large wattles, so I'm thinking rooster as well.

The other is a pullet.

LofMc

AAAAAAAACK! No, no roosters! They'll be on the first train to, well, some other town as my husband absolutely does NOT want roosters!

The two red birds look like a Rhode Island Red rooster (in the front), a RIR hen in the middle, and the Barred Rock seem to be a cockerel. I know you're not inquiring about the barred rock one ☺️

Oh my!! We don't want any roosters and these were sold to us as pullets! here is another photo of each, but I don't know if it makes things any clearer. If you can tell me specifically what to photo, I'll try to get more definitive images later. (I might cry...) No one crows or has tried and I don't see evidence of spurs...the RIR clucks at me all the time and all the BR does is peep. All four of the youngsters could be different ages since I don't know when they were hatched.
19059649_10210790408414363_2432595833855595672_n.jpg

Of course it would be moving its head in this one...
IMG_20170607_101129.jpg

Standing together here.
IMG_20170607_101255.jpg

I had to look at pictures...doesn't look like it. Edited: In one of my other photos, it looks like there may be a bit of black.View attachment 1043059

The reason I asked about the legs of the barred rock is because I read that the pullets of barred rocks have black on the front of their legs or a darker color, and both of mine have it. That was how they were able to sex them young.

IMG_4411.JPG
However, I am no expert. I have only had chickens for a year. They are wonderful!

I think your 2 red birds are Production Red hens of differing ages. I don't see saddles nor any tail indication of a rooster, yet. The large wattles at this age concern me a bit, but are not solely indicative. It can be hard to tell the difference between a teen rooster and a nearly mature hen. That is why age is important. If 16 weeks, rooster as saddles and tail will develop yet. If 20 weeks very likely hen as PR mature quicker to point of lay...she just may have larger wattles than average..it happens.

The other bird is either Barred Rock or male BSL, which can be hard to tell between, I do think your barred bird is a rooster. Really gangly with full comb and wattles. Being darker, meaning single barred, rather than double barred, indicates male BSL...or poorly ran Barred Rock stock.

Leg color and black wash in Barred Rocks only works in carefully controlled breeder lines and only in that line as the head dot size and wash vary between sexes between lines.

Back
Top Bottom