Rising chicks

mom8

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 18, 2013
I am new to the rising chickens thing. We do have older ones outside, but my husband thought it would be fun for our kids(we have 8) to rise some. Well he bought 10 for them for Valentines Day. They have been in the house ever since. I do have the heat lamp and change the bottom frequently. They make my dining room very dusty and stink up my entire down stairs. I want to say they were about 2wks old when we got them, but I am not sure exactly. They are getting big and had to upgrade their living space. But like I said they are still inside and I am ready for them to be outside and have a dust free and cleaning smelling downstairs. :)
I don't want them to get hurt or be cold or anything...what do we do for them to go outside and is it safe? Thank you in advance for any help and advice!

When they are about four weeks old, or when they have most of their adult feathers, they can go outside, as long as nighttime temperatures don't go much below 50 degrees Fahrenheit. However, if you put a lamp in for heat overnight, they should be fine with temperatures below that. It's best to transition them gradually, for example leaving them out for half a day, then a whole day, then permanently.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom