risks of feeding chicks layers pellets

I was never a fan of feeding layer rations to males. But I only had a few birds before. Now with 19 birds at several months old and 30 week olds, I think I will just feed layer once everyone is at the right age. The week olds are in and will remain in a seperate area from the older birds so once my ducks and hens start laying, I'm just going to switch them to layer. I just can't see spending the extra money on enough oyster shell for all of them. I do give them (2 older hens) crushed, cleaned, dried egg shells but I don't eat that many eggs that I could supply them to everyone.

That being said I would NOT give it to younger birds (< 4 months ). I plan on feeding pellets, not crumbs so it would be difficult for young birds to eat it anyway.
I don't see the difference of feeding layers to roosters, myne has been on layers pellets for 7 years and has not had any health problems...

I don't see the difference of feeding layers to roosters, myne has been on layers pellets for 7 years and has not had any health problems...
For me it is that it can cause problems including permanent damage to organs and the skeleton and even death. The extra calcium may be more of an issue with ducks and thats what I started out with. I only recently was able to get a roo.

My four week old banty chicks are eating the layer pellets by choice the foolish things!!! They have free choice of those or chick starter crumbles. I think I am going to pull out the pellets though seems they are all young birds in that pen right now.

My four week old banty chicks are eating the layer pellets by choice the foolish things!!! They have free choice of those or chick starter crumbles. I think I am going to pull out the pellets though seems they are all young birds in that pen right now.
they are probablies copying what their mother eats..

I only have the one rooster and the rest will be laying soon. I re-did my math the other d ay and I think I have about 4 more weeks till they are old enough to start laying.

I should be able to feed an all flock food now right? And then I can put out the oyster shell in a few weeks right? So will the rooster know not to eat the oyster shells.

I only have the one rooster and the rest will be laying soon. I re-did my math the other d ay and I think I have about 4 more weeks till they are old enough to start laying.
I should be able to feed an all flock food now right? And then I can put out the oyster shell in a few weeks right? So will the rooster know not to eat the oyster shells.
it wont do him any harm eating it. My hens dont usually have oyster shells but they will when they are put on growers pellets. they sometimes have constant access to it and im not sure if he eats it but either way hes still living :)

I have 5 thirteen week "adolescents". All my starter got ruined in storm. I gave them a little layer pellets this morning until I get to the store today. Anybody think 1 day of layer pellets will mess them up?

I have 5 thirteen week "adolescents". All my starter got ruined in storm. I gave them a little layer pellets this morning until I get to the store today. Anybody think 1 day of layer pellets will mess them up?
No, it should be fine. Just don't make a habit of it! and if they are 13 weeks you should put them on growers pellets :)

My feed store today recommended staying with medicated crumbles until they start laying, then switching to layer pellets. Got two babies while I was there; Buff Orpington and Gold Sex Link. Hard to tell them apart:)

Back
Top Bottom