risks of feeding chicks layers pellets

I have 10 girls and just started laying crumble...only 2 of them are laying and the other 8 are about 20 weeks. They are molting so I'm guessing that's why they aren't laying yet??? I do not provide heat or lighting either. Why aren't they laying?!!!! Too cold? I live on cape cod and days are about 20-25 degrees and at night 10-20 degrees. Advice pleaseeee!

If your pullets are 20 weeks, they are not molting. They probably are just late starting their laying. Chickens don't molt until after a year of age.

Yup, that's one way to tell a pullet from a hen in the fall.

I think if you gave them additional light, they would start laying sooner. I don't supplement light and have just had my girls start laying a month or 2 late.

I have a hen who started moulting 2-3 months ago and hasnt layed a single egg in that time. She is a Crested Cream Legbar. Is it ok for them to be eating layers pellets during this time?? Would the calcium cause damage or would it be used in feather production??

I have a hen who started moulting 2-3 months ago and hasnt layed a single egg in that time. She is a Crested Cream Legbar. Is it ok for them to be eating layers pellets during this time?? Would the calcium cause damage or would it be used in feather production??
Hardly any of mine are laying and mine are still on layers and all are old girls and its always been like this so I can't see it harming them. Just carry on with what you are doing. It's also winter so you shoudln't really expect her to start laying again until Febuary unless you have lighting in the shed. If she is still moulting then maybes you should feed her growers pelletes or scrambled eggs.

When a hen produces an egg she draws all of the minerals needed for the egg shell out of her own bones, the only source of calcium that a hen readily has available to her. The calcium in laying pellets and free choice oyster shells are only intended to replace the calcium that the hen has already drawn from the bones in her own body. In order for a hen to utilize dietary calcium (crushed limestone or oyster shell) it is necessary for her to eat a balanced diet with all the minerals and vitamins a chicken needs for good health. The reason is because some of these substances are required by the hen for the processing, up take, and depositing of new calcium in her large bones.

Chick starter contains medication to prevent the chicks from getting diseases. It will not kill them to have layer's pellets, however layer's pellets do not contain medication increasing the chance of illnes. DO NOT feed a laying hen chick starter if you want to eat the eggs as the medication is harmful to us. As the chick gets older, start mixing in some layer's pellets to the chick starter food so the chicken can get use too it :)

Hi just wandering what if you can only buy one bag of feed and that has to be layer! Will it kill my teen chickens?

I do not believe it will kill your teens. This is only from my own experience.

When my chicks are big enough, they go in with the hens and eat what they eat. Until then, the chicks get a feed called starter/grower.

So then would you also not feed layer feed if you have a rooster in the mix? My birds will be 18 weeks next week and I was planning to switch to layer feed the next time I purchase food, but today I picked up a rooster that needed a home. Does that mean I will need a different food and serve a side of oyster shell for the ladies?
I have dual purpose birds. Light Sussex. I had this dilemma to until I finally found Agway Meatbird. It's an "all flock" crumble,
that has 22% protein. A nice balance for both males and females. The calcium is ok for the females and fine for the males.
16% protein isn't enough for a heritage large fowl like a Sussex layer.
I serve oyster shell on the side. Also steam forage oats for them as a treat. I serve granite grit on the side. No corn during
laying season s it tends to lay on fat. Fat isn't stretchable and gets in the way of the expansion of the body to accomidate the
enlargement of the reproductive organ for laying season.
Best,
Karen in western PA
I use Plotspike Forage Oats I get from Tractor Supply. (widely available, non-GMO, created at Louisiana State University)
For 10 birds, measure 2 cups into a pan. Add at least 4 cups water. Cover and let sit overnight. next day, simmer the oats for
1 hour using the same water. This kills and bacteria, etc. Strain and lay in a casserole to cool. Tasty warm or cold.

Back
Top Bottom