Riverside, NJ PLEASE HELP!

evanpeer

Hatching
10 Years
May 22, 2009
I live in Riverside, NJ. All my life I have had a garden. I am not much for chemicals.

The reason I say this is because I live on the Rancocas river and I have a MASSIVE tick problem. I do not want to spray chemicals.

I thought chickens or gunea hens would be the way to go. Maybe 2-3 of them. I live on a small lot,(50x100) that is fenced in with a 6' privacy fence.

I dutifully called the township and asked (without leaving name or address) if I was permitted to have 2 "pet" chickens. The woman flat out laughed at me. In the midst of her hysterics, I was told that "no farm foul are permitted in Riverside!" Laughing as if I should have been born with this knowledge.

I explained my problem and my disdain for chemicals especially given all the children that play in the empty abandoned lot next door to me that I have been maintaining, and my organic garden.

With continued snickers the woman, in essence, told me to use the chemicals. She told me with an inflection that implied, "piss on you, the children, and your garden."

I had asked about permits, or a license. The answers were emphatically, "nope, no" as if these were questions asked every day.

I have one neighbor behind me who is an immigrant, and isn't much of a problem other than occasionally dumping his trash over his fence into my yard. The other neighbors to my one side are stuck-up yuppies that couldn't afford to live in a nice HOA; so their half of the duplex they own is essentially all stone, concrete, and evergreens for zero maintenance.

My old pick-up was already towed once for being abandoned even though it is registered, insured, and inspected. The officer basiclly told me someone complained that it's bringing the property values down.

I am in desperate need of help and eagerly await all questions, comments, and criticizims.

Thank you,
Evan A. Peer

Last edited:
This one's a toughie.
Guineas do better than chickens for tick control and they don't scratch/dig. However, they are LOUD.
You could probably get away with 2 silkie hens and call them "exotic ground parrots".

Meantime, I would send a letter to your newspaper, a TV station or any organization that supports "going green".

I took my chickens & moved to a rural area, but that is probably not an option for you..........sorry I can't be more helpful.

I am in a no chook zone, but care very little for the silly law. I am probably not the best one but I say get some guineas if someone complains say they got there on their own and you dont know how. Good luck to anyone catching them lol

I do the organic thing too and it can be hard. I have not had a problem with ticks but would try to google and see what other animals you could bring in to help.

yes and exotic ground parrots is the funniest thing I ever heard I will be using that one
lau.gif

I know exactly where Riverside is. You might be in a tough situation, but instead of just letting them say that you can't have them cite the ordiance. Also, though I can have chickens, guineas, etc where I live, I did first ask all my neighbors that surround me of their thoughts. You can explain the chemical situation and if you get chickens or even ducks (they too love bugs) maybe offer them eggs. I wish I had better advice. Good luck!

What about trying some Diametrious Earth? Spread it everywhere (food grade) and it should help with any pests. You can find some on-line if not locally. I believe it works well against ticks and fleas and is completely safe. Good luck!

Thank you all for your help!

I was thinking of getting the small fuzzy chickens that look nothing like chickens. Silkies? From the pictures I've seen they look to be about 6"-8" tall. Being quiet natured is also a plus. Someone suggested this in the thread. Is it worth getting these? Do they eat wood ticks at all??

Through my research I have found that the guinea hen is the most effective against ticks. I was unaware of the noisy nature of them.

My neighbors really aren't home untill evening. So if they are quiet after about 5pm, that shouldn't pose much of a problem if all they do is make quiet squabbles.

Someone mentioned asking for the ordinance. I tried that, and was told the court clerk was too busy. I have searched online, and I have yet to find where the ordinances are published. I really don't want to show my face and make my intentions known.

As for giving the neighbors a "heads-up", I think I would prefer a clandestine operation. I don't think these folks are terribly nosy, I have never seen their window shades open. So long as I am quiet and keep to myself, I should be OK. Also, an old proverb states, "tis simpler to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission."

I did NOT know ducks ate ticks, and being as I live on a street opposite the Rancocas river, I might be able to do that as well. I suppose they would have to be domesticated mallard ducks indigenous to the area? Ever since I bought the house last year, I thought of terracing the back a bit to go with the natural slope to my property and installing a small pond in the upper terrace.

Oddly enough, I have seen wild turkey roaming about Riverside on the border of Delran. Maybe something I can do there?

Not that I would want to hurt an animal, but is there a way to silence a guinea hen? Like de-stinking a skunk?

Speaking of which, I believe the Diemetreous earth also kills beneficial insects as well. I have slugs, snails, lots and lots of worms, etc... I also don't know what that would do to the native birds here. I have a Baltimore Oriole that has moved in as well as a downy woodpecker. Did I mention I really love birds?

I will have to build a coop and a run as I do have a raccoon living in a dead limb of one of my trees. I found out just this week that not only is my raccoon a female, but it has a young one following her about!! Pretty cool! Good thing I have tight lids on my refuse. I was thinking about leaving some treats out for the raccoon at the bottom of the tree to dissuade the animals from the chickens and my garden.

Lastly, I think showing my hand to the neighbors or the township would cripple any chances I have. Even if I have to borrow chickens for a few weeks.

I can't tell you how happy I am with this plethora of ideas and support. Thank you all so much and I continue to look forward to any more ideas you may have.

--Evan

Last edited:
Yea, it's not the state prohibiting me, it's the township.

I still have no idea on how to find the local ordinance nor will they give me the statute.

I may just call the court clerk and tell them I have a problem with a neighbor with chickens. Maybe then they will give me a statute or ordinance. I wish there was a way to read this stuff online.

http://www.riversidetwp.org/ is useless....

Back
Top Bottom