road ilsland reds

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by liveyourlife, Dec 14, 2014.

1. liveyourlife

liveyourlife New Egg

Dec 14, 2014
    yeah we live out in the country with 10 RIR and the roosters crow in the morning and right before sunset but i'm kinda new to raising chickens this is my first brood that hasn't got ate or killed yet.

2. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    99.9% (if not 100%) of roosters will crow first thing in the morning, as well as last thing at dusk. They will also crow in between those times, so you will have to get used to that sound!

You have 10 RIR's you say? How many roosters are there in that batch? The recommended ratio for a harmonious flock is 1 rooster to every 10 hens. If you have more than that I would seriously consider re-homing or culling some roosters out or buying more hens.

Too many roosters = very unhappy hens, as they tend to be over-mated and acquire injuries as the roosters fight it out to see who is the dominant roo.

- Krista

3. silkymom

silkymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2009
    hey my young roo just learned to crow, he crows morning , night and if hubby turnes the outside light on at 4 in the morning he crows then, hehe neighbors love it, good luck with him , sounds like hes normal

4. liveyourlife

liveyourlife New Egg

Dec 14, 2014
    we have 7 roosters

5. silkymom

silkymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2009
    well i guess ya got 7 part harmony, hehe to many roos, good luck,

6. GhettoRoo

GhettoRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2014
    Please show them.

7. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    7 roos?
    You only have 3 hens,your boys need some more girls.
    I have 20 hens and 1 rooster,he cant even keep control of,I need 7 roosters...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by