Road Runner is Being Pushed Out!

2iceblest

Chirping
Jul 14, 2023
Cicero, Indiana
I had 8 chicks all raised together: one Barred Rock, one Cuckoo Marans, three Columbian Wyandotte, and three Leghorn. They’re what I could get shipped at one time. A friend wanted two, which is why I ordered eight to begin with, so the day came three weeks ago and two Leghorn left.
While together, the Leghorns were co-rulers. The remaining is Road Runner because she zips everywhere and acts like the cartoon bird with her neck outstretched.
All but the Leghorns are gentle and sweet. At 10 weeks, they’re starting to follow me and they reply with chirps to, “Good morning, Girls!”
(Yes, I swore I wouldn’t get attached to barn fowl, but I am!)
I’m noticing Road Runner is not as zippy as she was and when everyone is free-ranging, she’s a loner. Plus, I’ve paid a lot of attention over the last week because she’s now the smallest and I see that she gets pushed away from the feeder and treats. I’ve been giving her a separate pile which she does go to but this isn’t good!
Does anyone know if this will resolve on its own or should I send her to my friend’s as well and try to find a pullet of the other breeds?
And, will I have worse trouble introducing a “foreigner” into the flock?
Thank you!

Last edited:
I see that she gets pushed away from the feeder and treats. I’ve been giving her a separate pile which she does go to but this isn’t good!
Multiple feeders spread out and preferably behind obstacles to break line of sight are always a good idea, even in a flock that gets along, as food is probably one of the top reasons for fights.

Back
Top Bottom