Roaming Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by smalljewells, Jul 19, 2011.

1. smalljewells

smalljewells Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    My chicks are now 7 weeks old....not so much "chicks" anymore but little chickens.... My question is, When can I let them out of the run to free range?

2. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    I let mine out at 4 weeks and they were fine, I think yours are ready to go by 7 weeks [​IMG]

3. smalljewells

smalljewells Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    Thanks for the post..... I will let them out ....but with caution.......I will be one of those "chicken Moms" that are sitting in the bushes, ready to jump to my chicks defence.....No one better mess with my chicken family!..... I am willing to do what it takes to protect my flock!......

4. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

You don't give enough info about your situation to say for sure. It would depend on fencing, the size of your property, predators, including neighborhood dogs & cats and so on. Seven weeks old is still little enough that a cat could easily kill them and a hawk could carry them off. Unsupervised, they could wander off your property quickly. I would only let them out for a little while close to bedtime and supervised for quite a while.

5. Erin~TheChickenLover

Erin~TheChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Arkansas River Valley
    I put my little ones in the yard with their little baby cage. As long as your little chickens know where home (and safety) is, I would say they should be fine. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by