1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roast Beef?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by simpsoncj, Oct 23, 2010.

1. simpsoncj

simpsoncj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2009
    I have a little sliced roast beef from the deli. I am wondering if it is alright to give to the girls as a treat? I know too much salt is not good, but what is too much? It is straight up roast beef, not pastrami or anything like that, but I am sure there is some salt content. Anybody know?
    Cathryn

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I've fed it to my chicks. They loved it.

3. simpsoncj

simpsoncj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2009
    Thanks, I fed it to them. I was just being paranoid!
    CJ

4. sirgknight

sirgknight Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2010
    Abbeville, GA
    i'm seeing a lot of questions on whether it would be a good idea to feed chickens this or that. now, on one hand, commercial grains and feeds have been drastically modified and improved, especially for the development and growth of commercially-raised chickens. my neighbor, for instance, houses 100,000 birds (4 houses, 25,000 per house). they are delivered as little chicks and grow to 8 and 9 lb'ers in just 8 weeks. their feed is changed several times through this rapid growth period and they are given vitamins and medications to ward off illness and disease. BUT, on the other hand, when i was just a tot we had farm animals including hogs and "backyard chickens". Believe me, hogs were no nastier than the chickens. in fact, a chicken, in some ways, is nastier than a hog(but i won't give any graphic examples). chickens will eat just about anything. in fact, what the chickens ate, the hogs ate, and vice versa. And we ate the hogs and chickens, none for the worse. believe me, if you can eat it, a chicken can eat it and like it. I guess it all boils down to this: personal preference. it's kinda like a pet dog. the dog will be much better off, health-wise, in the long run, to not feed it table scraps. a chicken would be no different. by the way, i do spoil my dog and wild chickens occasionally.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    The only problem you can run into feeding roast beef or any meat for that matter to chickens is if in all the mob, you get pushed into something and knocked out. Then they will eat you right along with the roast beef and enjoy every minute of it, or you. [​IMG]

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:[​IMG]

Cut it up in small pieces, they will LOVE it.....or can stir it right up with plain rice!

7. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    My girls had roast beef tonight. My dog gets mad at me since the chickens get scraps and our dog isn't allowed table scraps. [​IMG]

8. HeritageHens

HeritageHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Orygun
    My girls (and soon to be rehomed boy) had roast beef for the first time tonight. They finished it before their beloved yogurt which says a lot. Darn dinosaurs. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by