Roast Chicken

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by AtholCoop, Nov 10, 2008.

1. AtholCoop

AtholCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2008
    North Idaho
    Wanna make the BEST roast chicken dinner?

24 hours before meal time:

Brine:

2 Cups kosher salt
    2 Cups sugar (white, brown or a combination of the two)
    2 tablespoons each of Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Ground Ginger (honestly I never measure this...just eyeball it)
    about 4 cups of water...maybe more

Combine all this and bring it to a boil. Watch it close because it's got a nasty tendency to foam up and boil over. Once it's come to a boil dump it in something big enough to hold a chicken and the brine then add some ice cubes (just enough to bring the brine down to below room temperature). As soon as the brine is cooled down, chuck your chicken in the brine and put the whole kit and kaboodle in the fridge.

2 hours before meal time:

Pull the chicken and give it a good rinse off. Pat it dry with some paper towels and shove it back in the fridge.

1 1/2 hours before meal time:

Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Yeah that's right I said 500 degrees. TRUST. ME.

While the oven is preheating, chop some veggies, you know onions, celery, green peppers, whatever you got laying around. Lay all that down in your roasting pan and add a couple three cups of chicken stock (more on that later)

Drop your chicken in on top of all the veggies and the stock and shoot it with some Pam cooking spray. Jam the whole mess in the oven for 30 minutes uncovered. After 30 minutes cover and give it another 30 minutes (Start your mashed taters NOW).

After the second 30 minutes have gone by, pull the chicken out of the roaster and set it on a cutting board (cover with foil). This is called letting it "rest" I know, I know it's dead, it's already "resting" just trust me on this.

Gravy:
    Melt a couple tablespoons of butta and add a couple tablespoons of flour (this is called a roux or sumpin' French*, all you need to know is it makes the gravy thick). As soon as the butta,flour mixture has come together in a paste like texture strain some or all of the stock in the roasting pan off and dump it in with the roux. Bring it to a boil over medium heat, if it gets too thick add some milk until you've got a nice gravy like consistency.

Carve bird, and eat.

Stock:

Take the bits of the bird what you don't eat, chuck it in a big pot with enough water to cover and bring it to a boil. I usually add the leftover gravy (yeah I know but gravy makes everything better). Boil the bones and what not for a good hour or two. Strain off everything what isn't "Soup Like" and put it back on the stove to reduce until you've got about a 2 quarts of stock.

Let this liquid goodness cool, divide in half and freeze it in ziplock bags. Whatever you do don't listen to your wife when she tells you to seperate off the fat layer. She doesn't know what "tasty" is. Chicken fat is good for you.

Next time you make a chicken dinner you've already got stock for the roasting pan and enough to make gravy with out even trying. The stock ends up like sourdough bread because a little of the old always ends up going into the new. One quart is more than enough for a bird so you should only have to make stock every other time you make roast chicken.

You're welcome.

*If while making the uh hem "roux" you feel a strong urge to surrender, just punch yourself right in the face.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Since I am the queen of quick, that sounds like too much effort unless it's a weekend...

I use a vertical roaster, so all I don is rinse off the bird and coat it with 1) poultry seasoning 2) celery salt 3) seasoned salt. Plop it on the roaster and cook it for 90 minutes at 400.

The skin is always the first to go.

3. OPIE

OPIE Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Freeman Mo.
    Wow, sounds great, Im gonna try it!! Thanks

4. I have one of the vertical roasters where you jam the chicken on2 prongs and roast it with all the juices falling down in the bottom. Love it. Only i use lots of lemon pepper marrie

5. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Oooooohhh....a vertical roaster.....I think you just gave me a great idea what to spend my Christmas bonus on that I got today.

6. OPIE

Jul 7, 2008
    Freeman Mo.
    Hey, quick question, are the birds suppesed to be skin less for roasting? I am taking them out of the fridge know after the 24 hr marinade and it dawned on me they still have there skin.[​IMG]

7. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    Sounds fantastic.....Im a keepin' this one 4 sure....wondering about the skin also ?? thank you !!! No really THANK YOU!!!

8. OPIE

Jul 7, 2008
    Freeman Mo.
    Ok, we just had this tonight. It may seem like a little work, but rely, it isnt and man what a nice bird this turned out![​IMG] It was awsome. I made 2 birds instead of one and put them in turkey pan, but worked just fine. Definatly doing it again! Thanks for sharing this recipe.

9. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    You just solved my quandrey of what am I gonna fix for Christmas dinner! Thanks!! [​IMG]

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    so..you cook it at 500 the whole time?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by