1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roasting Goose, new suggestions?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Jenlyn9483, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Jenlyn9483

Jenlyn9483 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Hi All,

Last year I roasted my first goose. I followed a recipe in my Poultry cookbook. I used the Mild pork sausage and apple stuffing recipe. I prepared the stuffing as directed. Rinsed the goose and rubbed with inside and out with lemon juice and 2 tsp salt. Stuffed and Trussed goose. Pricked several times so fat would run out. Cooked in roasted 325 degrees for 3-3.5 hours until thermometer in in breast registered 185 deg F. In the mean time i made the giblet gravy to go alone with him. It was very good. I will be preparing my first home raised goose on Thursday the same way..Just wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions to make it even better.

2. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    The only thing I'd do different would be to pull it from the oven at 160 not 185.

We usually confit the legs and neck separate from the bird using the goose fat and lard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by