Robbed Nest. Predators or spiteful neighbors?

Wolf-Kim

Songster
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
I gave my geese 15 eggs to set on and they did so immediately. They've set on them for about 5 days now and today I went to check for extra eggs and the nest was completely empty. 2 feet away is half a shell, but that's it. It almost seemed staged and I'm upset. Goose eggs are HUGE, I don't think a snake native to NC could eat one, and definately not 15 of them. With 15 HUGE eggs, and only about half a shell of evidence, I am left wondering what in the heck happened?

The nest was not in an enclosure, located just a few feet from the pond. We aren't on the best terms with the neighbors who have been fishing off the pond for the last couple of days. Please tell me it was a predator, who somehow managed to carry away 15 goose eggs and only leave half a shell... I walked the area and that single half a shelll was all I found. No blood, no dead geese, no shells, and no egg remains. Could something have really carried away that many eggs?(Other than a neighbor?) All eggs were accounted for, same time yesterday.

Last edited:
I was thinking predator at first, but when I looked around, I couldn't even find little tiny bits of shells. That's what puzzled me. I dug down into the nest and couldn't even find little tidbits of shell.
hmm.png

I guess I just find it hard to think that a nest of 15 eggs could just dissapear without a trace(except for the single endcap to a shell.)

I guess once it starts getting dark, we'll haul the livetrap out there and bait it with chicken eggs.

It just blows my mind. 15 GOOSE eggs, that's a HUGE meal and gone with just the ONE eggcap left. I guess I'm just frustrated and dissapointed. I was looking forward to goslings without having to hatch them myself or pen the geese up in the barn.

A couple dogs were spotted on the farm later chasing my ducks.
somad.gif

We've put out a livetrap and a leghold, just in case it was a wild pred. If the dogs return, which they will most likely, we'll get larger legholds(these were big dogs) and turn them over to AC.

sad.png
Sorry to hear of your loss. 2008, I lost 16 birds (7 ducks, 7 Brahma hens, 2 Brahma roosters) in 4 days while I was gone to a horseshow. I was devastated! Most of my pretty flock, and all of my runner ducks!

My prime suspect - Racoons. Racoons LOVE water. I know that 1 racoon is not likely to eat 16 birds in 4 days, BUT it was a FAMILY of 6! Quite the picnic they had! I would have thought "neighbors" except my best neighbor saw the big male coon climb OUT of my 6 ft high fenced pen with a dead hen in his mouth. When I checked my hen house, all the eggs were gone - not a shell in sight - and I usually got 18-20 eggs a day. The racoons had even eaten 1/2 of a RESIN nest egg!

It could also be possum - they will also consume eggs - shells and all. My friend lost his flock to possums (he let them roost in the pine tree near his pond at night). The only one that survived was his "nasty as hell" White leghorn rooster - he was at the tip top of the tree.

Neighbor kids usually break the eggs in or near the nest - not carry them off. Unfortunately, I know that from experience too.
I hope things get better soon for you.

PS - racoons are very smart about traps. Good luck.

Probably a coyote. Coyotes (and foxes) will carry off eggs (and birds) without leaving much of a trace. What they don't eat, they cache.

Picture of a 'yote making off with a goose egg.
500px-female_coyote_with_egg.jpg

Back
Top Bottom