Robin Nest Egg Observation Help

Icepearlz

Hatching
May 4, 2017
Ruby, a Robin who has nested outside our window has eggs due to hatch sometime between today and Sunday. I observed this change on one of her eggs, the top one, where it looks a bit discolored. It did not look like this a few hours ago or even yesterday. Any idea if this is an indication of "internal egg pipping?" Thanks for any help. I'm aware she isn't a chicken, but hopeful you all know more than I do.

Yeah, I am just excited and curious about the coloration change. This is my first time ever observing any sort of clutch of eggs. I'm just trying to learn is all.

Thank you! We have enjoyed it very much, and are hoping we get to see some successful babies hop out of it.

I hope you see some babies too, although I must admit I don't know what a color change means. Update and tell us whether it hatches, and how many do.

Robins are wonderful birds, smarter than I thought. One year I rescued a chick called "Cowbird" that had fallen out of his nest, and by the time he flew away -I wanted to keep him as a companion to my cockatiel, as he was lonely at the time and I worried Cowbird would be eaten by something were he to return to the wild, but my grandfather scared him away while I was outside training him and his harness broke- I had taught him to sing on command, fly on command, and was working on returning when called when he left.
He also learned to feed other rescue birds I had, including a second, younger but less tame robin. That one was glad to fly away at its earliest opportunity, leaving my Cowbird hopping around the cage in confusion with a piece of water soaked dog food in his mouth -That's what one feeds orphaned baby birds, apparently, if anyone was curious. It also works for starlings and sparrows. Hopefully you won't need that information though, and the parent robins will do a good job of raising those babies.

Thank you for all the helpful information. I'm surprised Ruby has been so tame and patient with me, allowing me to get within a foot of her and her nest without flying away. She has been coming and going freely with me nearby. It's been such an exciting experience that I feel very blessed to see. I believe the egg coloration was an indicator of internal pipping, as I found external pipping in an small spot (top right) of you enlarge. I didn't see any other activity last night or yesterday. Ruby flipped the egg so I couldn't even see the pip. But I did wake up to and successful hatch this morning. We are very excited. I'll attach some photos. The first is of the pip. Such a neat thing to see.

Back
Top Bottom