Rock Reds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CovenantCreek, Dec 24, 2007.

1. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Someone on eBay is selling hatching eggs for Rock Reds, which the listing says is a sex-link variety. I'm wondering if anyone has heard of this variety before. The hen pictured is gorgeous!

Click here to see the listing.

2. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    i seen the same thing i dont never have seen them befor:jumpy

3. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    The chicken in the picture looks like my Black Sex Links

Last edited: Dec 24, 2007
  4. CovenantCreek

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Quote:I was wondering if it wasn't just somebody's personal "brand name" for a Barred Rock/RIR cross or if maybe they had come up with a different pairing that deserved a new name.

5. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    Different hatcheries sometimes cross their own egg layers to try for a better egg layer. They then name "their" crosses. My guess would be that this is what a Rock-Red is.

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Definately a Black Sex Linked.....the British call those Black Rocks or Rock Reds.....someone is pulling your leg about the "new" name but any wise person would see that its a Black Sex Link pullet LOL!

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yep, black sexlink. A barred hen and a red rooster if I remember right.

8. MissChessy

MissChessy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2007
    Texas
    [​IMG] I have 4 of these beauties. They lay some really jumbo brown eggs. Their plummage is beautiful and they have really bushy soft down on their legs. Love to watch them scratch around the yard!

9. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't want to steal this thread, but I have a large pullet with white where the red is on these hens. Do any of you know what her breed or mix might be? No one seems to know.

Thanks for any ideas. She is my biggest pullet, friendly, matured late and lays light brown eggs. She's got a single comb and green legs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. CovenantCreek

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    I don't know, but she sure is pretty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by