Rocks...right?

Mississippi66

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 23, 2011
OK I'm a complete newbie at raising chickens so i took a guy with me that claimed to know tons about chickens. We went to a local trade show looking for White Leghorns. While at the show it became obvious there were more chickens then you could stuff in a Walmart building for sale but we were having a hard time finding any white chickens. Till we find this one guy selling 3 Leghorns for $12 a piece. Two hens and a Roo. You had to buy the Roo to get the hens.Well i was looking for at least 4 hens and did not want a roo so we moved on. Then there they were. A small pen stuffed full of white chickens. The guy with me says thats what you want. "Dem is sum big leggerns" So i start to deal with the guy selling them. He lets me have the 5 birds and cage for $9 a piece.

I get home and pull them from the cage and with in 30 seconds its becomes obvious one of them is a Roo. He starts crowing and mounting any hen he can case down
wink.png
. Then i notice one of the hens has green legs. And under closer inspection you can see a tuff of light brown feathers under her neck. It took a bit to notice the color change because it was muddy at the trade show so all the birds had a few mud spots on them. Now i got a Roo i don't want,a mix breed and 3 leghorns....i thought. I give the Roo to my uncle.

There was a single brown egg in the cage i got them in but it could have come from the mix i thought. So i get on the net and start looking really close at Leghorns and notice they really don't look like mine. I think mine are White Plymouth Rocks. I have not gotten an egg yet so i really don't know for sure. If they are rocks it's obvious one of the hens is bigger then the others. Are the smaller birds juveniles?
Heres some pics.

What i got? Rocks i think

This is the big hen( Big Mama)
rockhz.jpg

rock3j.jpg

Here you can see the two smaller ones with the bigger one. ( not named yet)
rock2y.jpg

rock1c.jpg

Here is the mix( Stinky). She actually looks more like a leghorn to me then the others but its obvious she is mixed with something else. She is the wifes favorite but the other birds pick on here pretty bad.

stinky.jpg

stinky1.jpg

Last edited:
the first three do look like white rocks, though the pinkish legs on Big Mama throw me off, I would guess that they are hatchery quality rocks. Stinky looks like she could be part leghorn, maybe part EE. I have a little EE and she is the one the other girls pick on- makes me sad but I don't know how to make them stop.

Last edited:
I'm just south west of Tupelo on the Lee/Pontotoc line. I bought the chickens at ( First Monday) Ripley

There is large Amish community not to far from me. Been thinking of riding out there and seeing what they have.

Quote:
The legs were the first thing I noticed, too. There are several approaches to treatment, do a search for scaly(scaley) leg mites to find a treatment that works for you. You didn't get Leghorns, but they are nice birds.

Oh, and be very careful of MS. Farm Boy, he is a very dangerously funny guy!
big_smile.png

Quote:
x2

To the OP, do you know how to treat scaly leg mites?

Big mama is a white rock.

Stinky looks like an EE with Leghorn in her.

The other photos I can't view.

Quote:
Her legs are yellow but they have a dry white crusty look to them. Is that mites? Don't seam to bother her any that I've noticed.

Back
Top Bottom