Rocks vs Orpingtons......what is the difference?

NellaBean

Graceland Farms
10 Years
Mar 4, 2009
Broodyland, TN
My Coop
My Coop
I have a blue Rock pullet..........she is short and fluffy....reminds me more of an orp than a rock. However, I have to admit, I have had NEITHER before. What is the difference between the two breeds?

Quote:
Orps have white skin and legs, and Rocks have yellow skin and legs. Rocks aren't fluffy and Orps can be. There are a lot more differences if you need them, but that should be enough to identify them.

David

Rock N' Faverolles :

Quote:
Orps have white skin and legs, and Rocks have yellow skin and legs. Rocks aren't fluffy and Orps can be. There are a lot more differences if you need them, but that should be enough to identify them.

David

While Buff Orps have white or pinkish legs and toes, Blue/Black/Splash Orps have dark slate colored legs and toes. I just wanted to mention that since she said her Rock pullet was blue.​

Rock N' Faverolles :

Quote:

David

While Buff Orps have white or pinkish legs and toes, Blue/Black/Splash Orps have dark slate colored legs and toes. I just wanted to mention that since she said her Rock pullet was blue. I admit, though, that I know absolutely nothing about Rocks.​

I wanted to point out that Buff Orps have white or pinkish legs and toes, but Blue/Black/Splash Orps have dark slate colored legs and toes. I just wanted to mention that since she said her Rock pullet was blue. I admit, though, that I know absolutely nothing about Rocks.

One good reason you might get the two mixed up, many American Orps breeders are known to have mixed in Rock to their lines for the size. In the UK they use Cochin. Both are called Orpingtons, but their far from being a purebred bird anymore.

Back
Top Bottom