Rocks vs Orpingtons......what is the difference?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by NellaBean, Jul 14, 2010.

1. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I have a blue Rock pullet..........she is short and fluffy....reminds me more of an orp than a rock. However, I have to admit, I have had NEITHER before. What is the difference between the two breeds?

2. Rock N' Faverolles

Rock N' Faverolles Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Quote:Orps have white skin and legs, and Rocks have yellow skin and legs. Rocks aren't fluffy and Orps can be. There are a lot more differences if you need them, but that should be enough to identify them.

David

3. justuschickens59

justuschickens59 VA Royal Blues

Apr 2, 2009
    Virginia
    Rock N' Faverolles :

Quote:Orps have white skin and legs, and Rocks have yellow skin and legs. Rocks aren't fluffy and Orps can be. There are a lot more differences if you need them, but that should be enough to identify them.

David

While Buff Orps have white or pinkish legs and toes, Blue/Black/Splash Orps have dark slate colored legs and toes. I just wanted to mention that since she said her Rock pullet was blue.​

4. justuschickens59

Apr 2, 2009
    Virginia
    Rock N' Faverolles :

David

While Buff Orps have white or pinkish legs and toes, Blue/Black/Splash Orps have dark slate colored legs and toes. I just wanted to mention that since she said her Rock pullet was blue. I admit, though, that I know absolutely nothing about Rocks.​

5. justuschickens59

Apr 2, 2009
    Virginia
    I wanted to point out that Buff Orps have white or pinkish legs and toes, but Blue/Black/Splash Orps have dark slate colored legs and toes. I just wanted to mention that since she said her Rock pullet was blue. I admit, though, that I know absolutely nothing about Rocks.

6. lildinkem

lildinkem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    One good reason you might get the two mixed up, many American Orps breeders are known to have mixed in Rock to their lines for the size. In the UK they use Cochin. Both are called Orpingtons, but their far from being a purebred bird anymore.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by